Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

What fertilizer for hydrangeas?

kentstar
14 years ago

I haven't fertilized yet. What should I be using? I have a Forever and Ever Blue Heaven hydrangea, my first, so I don't want to screw it up :)

Comments (14)

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

10-10-10 in mid to early Spring. But don't over do it. Then no more till next Spring! Pretty easy!

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Yeah I use ~10-10-10 for everything...or least for the few plants that I do fertilize.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

They don't require a lot of fertilizer - most woody plants (trees and shrubs) grow very well with minimal supplemental fertilization. Usually, just mulching well with compost is sufficient. If you want to encourage bluer flower color, you could use a fert formulated for acid loving plants, often referred to as Rhododendron, Azalea and Camellia fertilizer (i.e., something like HollyTone).

• seaside_beginner
    14 years ago

Ok, so like the name says...I am a beginner..what is 10-10-10?

• torrejon224
    14 years ago

We have three large ones and every March/April, I just toss down a good coT of steer manure mixed with some mushroom compost and just prior to blom hit them with a spray of Miracle Grow. Works like a charm. Any fertilizer for rhodies, azealeas, ect will work.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    14 years ago

Any recommendations for organic fertilizers? Would holly tone (4-3-4) or plant tone (5-3-3) be good?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

10-10-10 is what is considered an all purpose fertilizer - can be used on any plant. But with numbers that high, this will be a synthetic rather than organic formulation and can be very fast acting and could even burn if applied improperly. I'd look for a similar organic product first....ratio will be lower - 4-4-4 or 5-5-5.

And yes, the Holly-tone is an excellent choice for hydrangeas (even more desirable than an all-purpose fert). Plant-tone OK, too. If you can find it in your area, look for Dr. Earth products -- an even better choice.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi - I haven't fertilized any of mine ... just a scoop of cotton burr compost, scratched around the base is all I have done ... no complaints so far, except for Ma Nature's occasional teases that get their feather ruffled!!! LOL then we'll all just have to be patient, right?! The Paniculatas don't seem to get as fazed as the other divas! Such easy going beauties & perhaps a haircut in Spring! Â;)

• mehearty
    14 years ago

The paniculats get some cow manure laid on top of the soil in early spring (except QuickFire which I try to ignore).

The mycrophyllas get cow manure and a wee bit of super phosphate also in early spring.

I don't add anything else for the rest of the season except extra water when needed.

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

mehearty I was going to start adding a thin layer of cow manure. Stuff is dirt cheap from the farms selling to a local hardware chain.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just scratched in some Osmocote and watered well. That's it. It's just a baby planted last year, so I believe in taking it easy for a year or two. Let 'em catch his breath lol.
    Later on after bloomtime I may water with alfalfa tea, but we'll see how it goes first.

• unprofessional
    14 years ago

Did about the same with mine - little Osmocote and topdressed with composted manure and mulch on top.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got hold of some horse manure that sat all winter. But, I think I'll use that in my compost pile, and then, when that is ready I'll top dress them with the compost.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths