Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
limelight tree form

Posted by arbordayle 6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 20:55

I purchased a tiny limelight from Bluestone two summers ago and placed it in a pot. Last summer I noticed one strong upright stem and decided to experiment and try to train the hydrangea into a tree form. I cut all the branches off except for the main stem and staked it. During the winter I moved the pot into my garage where it's now starting to leaf out. The main stem is about four feet tall and standing straight. However,I noticed that at the bottom of the shrub, leaves are sprouting from the spots where I cut off the lower branches. Should I just keep cutting off those leaves or should I raise the dirt level in the pot (about six inches) in order to cover the bottom of the stem and perhaps prevent new branches from growing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: limelight tree form

Maybe I can explain it better. It was a multistem shrub. I cut off all the stems at the base of the plant except for the one that was growing straight up. The stems that were cut off at the base are now starting to regrow. Should I raise the dirt level in the container to cover them or just keep removing the foliage as it appears?

o

Did you find your answers yet? I would say go ahead and trim off those lower branches. From what I've read, it takes a few years to train into a tree form, hence the price of the tree form 'Limelight' at the nurseries. Hope you're taking pictures, I'd love to see the progress from year to year.

o

If you want to train this shrub to be a tree cut all the branches to the ground. When it starts to grow train one stem up a stick and remove all the others. All the growth will go into that one stem to form a tree. Once it get to the height you want stop training it, trim the leader and let it branch at the top of the trunk. You can remove the stick after a few years once the stem is nice and thick and can support the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Plant Hunter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here