Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question please

Posted by whiteowl1970 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 21:16

On HDTV the show Curb appeal, does flower beds for home owners. She does a beautiful large pink flower that looks like a hydrangea. But it is not a bush it is a low growing, close to the ground flower. Does anyone have any idea what it is? She never says. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question please

Contact the hostess of that program via e mail at that HDTV website and mention exactly what you wrote here. They will probably respond.

o

Phlox paniculata comes to mind. They come in many colors, just as hydrangea do, and can grow from 1 to 4 feet high each year. They die back to the ground each winter and bloom mid-summer.

o

See the pictures in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox paniculata pictures

o

Which episode was it?

o

thank you so much for the information. I think that might be it. Naturally when she first planted them they would be close to the ground. I will also try to email her. I do appreciate the answers.

o

no, maybe they arent. The ones she planted were just one close to the ground pink with a lot of little flowers maybe like phlox. but just one large plant

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 14:29

I haven't watched the program but as a wild guess, could you be seeing zonal geraniums used as bedding plants? The flower form might be thought to be hydrangea-like from a distance...

They would probably be perennial in Zs 9-10, will often live from year to year here in 8b with light winter protection but its not guaranteed.

Here is a link that might be useful: zonal geranium

o

No the zonal geranium isnt it. it was a very large flowermade up of small petals llike hydrangea,but just the one plant close to the ground and roundl. If i find one I will post a link for all of you. very pretty in a border or a rock garden.

o

you know, after checking some of the flowers, it might be a phlox. But I have never seen a single one this large. I would say it was maybe six " across. only one plant. I did e mail the girl that does the planting, I also e mailed the designer. No answer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here