Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Oakleaf Hydrangea Branching

whaas_5a
14 years ago

I went to pick up a few Oakleaf 'Sikes Dwarf' and all the stock was literally 1 or 2 sticks about 1' tall.

I then looked at the #5 containers of the larger varieties like 'Alice' and 'Snow Queen'...they too where only a couple sticks.

Is this typical of younger oakleafs?

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Yes, this is pretty typical of all the young oakleafs I see at the nursery and with my own experience. They do not have the same growth habit as other hydrangeas, with multiple stems emerging from the root crown.......usually it is just a single stem/trunk with some smaller branching. Until they settle in and mature, after which they branch out fully and turn into an impressive looking plant. Once they are well-established and have some maturity to them, they may start to produce some suckering growth that increases the footprint of the plant.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi - I got all 3 of mine from an old nursery I've been dealing w/ for 30+years (pd premium $$$) Alice in late summer '07 was a #4 pot w/ several spreading canes all foliage turned to the promised beauty my Sept. & bloomed in '08!

Spring '08 = Pee Wee was in a #3pot as well also several spreading limbs lower in the ground & soon budded & bloomed.

Snow Queen = Spr'g '08 in a 1gal pot young had 3 limbs +1 sprouting but 2 younger limb were soon chewed up by bunnies - I had to use chicken wire fence ... soon budded & gave 2 blossoms from the 2 older stems.

Wntr '08-'09 was a killer paired w/ ensuing boggy/steamy Sprg = 0 blooms from all of them but survived w/ a bit od Wntr protection.

Because of brittleness of canes, Pee Wee's center cane, split in half from wt of snow - tied & wrapped w/ sphagnum moss - both split limbs seem to be responding - very light greens have opened - w/ O H angels' help, may mend & grow!!!

Sorry very long story - hope it helps.

?? for GG148 - I know that they will be giants one day ...
    *** How long will it take? *** AM sun only is OK?
    TIA! Â;)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

"giants" is pretty relative :-) As Syke's is a dwarf, it will never be gigantic........3-4' by the same or slightly greater width in about 5 years. 'Snow Queen' or any of the full size cultivars can be expected to reach 6'x6' in about 5 years with the potential to get quite a bit larger. If bunnies and/or deer are kept out of the picture :-)

Oakleafs are far more sun tolerant than macrophyllas and will need some direct sun to color well in fall. Mine are growing in half day sun (with the exception of 'Little Honey', which prefers more shade because of coloring).

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thank you GG148 - for the info. All three are doing well leafing eagerly ... even damaged Pee Wee seem to be responding to the sphagnum moss bandage. SQ is finally branching out with lots of leaves now & Alice has 1 season head-start is larger - more width than hgt.

I guess I'll just have to be patient ... 'was expecting similar rate of growth as H paniculatas! Their Fall foliage color were satisfactory - PW darker maroon. I may have to prune branches from shading tree to allow more dappling PM sun!

Thanks again!!! Â;)