Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paniculata fertilizer question

Posted by ruth_mi z5MI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 21:43

For those with a lot of hydrangea experience, what do you recommend as far as fertilizing paniculatas? I have a lot of Limelights, and some have never been fertilized. They seem to do well, but would they do better with fertilizer?

From the Proven Winners site: "Fertilize in early spring by applying a slow release fertilizer specialized for trees and shrubs."

I would have thought regular tree and shrub fertilizer would have too much nitrogen for such a heavy bloomer.

Also, I've seen statements here that hydrangeas prefer a more acidic soil. I always thought that was only if you had a mac that you wanted to be more on the purple/blue side. Do all hydrangeas like the soil more acidic, even paniculatas?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paniculata fertilizer question

Yes, all hydrangeas like acidic soil. They will tolerate some alkalinity but after a certain point, when the alkalinity gets high enough, the shrub will have difficulty absorbing iron from the soil via the roots and the leaves will develop signs of iron chlorosis: the normally dark green leaves become light green/bronze/yellow while the leaf veins remain dark green.

A soil test should also be done every 5-10 years so you can check how the soil is doing with regards to minerals like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc. Since hydrangeas do not tend to respond to fertilizers like roses do (with lots and lots of growth), there is no need to apply extra fertilizers. As a matter of fact, if your existing fertilizer regimen is working and a soil test shows all is fine (no excessive or defficient amounts of minerals) then continue doing what you are doing.

Hydrangeas can be fertilized once a year in Spring using organic fertilizers like cottonseed meal, compost or composted manure. A 1/2 to 1 cup should be fine for a newly planted hydrangea. You can also use a general-purpose slow-release fertilizer like Osmocote 10-10-10 per label directions. You should also maintain 3-4" of organic mulch throughout the year. During the growing season, you can also add some "weak" fertilizers like coffee grounds, liquid seaweed and liquid fish.

o
RE: Paniculata fertilizer question

Thanks, Luis, I appreciate the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here