Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariane1_gw

crumbling leaves

Ariane1
13 years ago

I bought a couple of hydrangeas (mop heads, blue) two weeks ago and repotted them in a bigger container , I want to keep them in pots because of the weather in my area (El Paso, Texas, which is more like New Mexico�s weather than Texas)I feel like I can protect them better from the harsh sun if they are in containers. I used a mix of potting soil and sand (50/50) I got the sand from my yard. Now I see that the leaves are just crumbling, they are not turning brown or wilting, just crumbling. IS this a disease, did I over watered? They are only exposed to morning sun and a little of late afternoon (sunset). Please advice!!!

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    13 years ago

Doesn't sound like disease. Any chance of posting pictures?

• Ariane1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well... I have pictures but!!! I am new to this forum an site and can't figure out HOW to post my images. Sorry, no intention on changing the subject of conversation from Hydrangeas to computers.

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

To determine when to water, use the finger method. Start by inserting a finger into the soil to a depth of 2-3" and see if it feels dry, moist or wet. If it feels dry or almost dry then water; otherwise, do not water. Check the soil daily for 2-3 weeks and jot down on a wall calendar a note when you water. After 2-3 weeks, determine how often you are having to water. Then make a habit water to water on that frequency. If the temperatures change 10-15 degrees or you move the pot, re-check using the finger method again.

When growing in pots, do not place them in windy areas. Also, consider surrounding the pots themselves with something else during the worst of the summer so the sun does not hit the main pot.

To post photos, join a website that lets you upload photos from your PC to theirs; for example: www.photobucket.com

Upload the photo or photos to their website. When you do this, you will be able to obtain a direct link (an http:// address) to each one of the photos.

To post the pictures on this post, add the statement shown below in the message area (not the subject line) and make these tweaks:

* get rid of the space that I added in-between the '* replace the '???' with the direct link (the http address) of the picture
    * you will need one statement per picture so, remember to set ??? to the direct link of a diferent picture,
    * keep the double quotes around the direct link and make sure you end with a >

After changing the above statement, it will look similar to the one shown below (note: I kept the blank in-between

When you click the Preview Message Button, the statement will display the picture, like so:

{{gwi:508164}}

• Ariane1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Here are some pistures...I hope.
    I will follow your advise about watering

• Ariane1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think this will work now