Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gift of Hydrangea

Posted by Anna5 zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 22:14

I have always wanted a Hydrangea...I believe this came from our Kroger store. What to do..There is no specific name on little card. 7 beautiful pink & pink/white blooms. Too cold outside but soon. Says bright light. While indoors what to do...condo is rather dark with no direct light as windows look out on covered patio. Keeping in kitchen with florescent light..OK? Flowers wilt every other day or so..water brings them back. The rear of condo has morning sun until noon. Had planned to place in beautiful pot in front but that has almost full sun all day...from reading that may not work...right? Any help with my lovely gift will be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gift of Hydrangea

Choose a location that is not windy and that morning sun/afternoon shade. Plant it about 1-2 weeks after your average date of last frost in Spring (ask your local nurseries if you do not know). Top it off with 3-4" of mulch and fertilize it in May and July. In the fall, apply winter protection techniques to make sure the flower buds that develop around July-August will still be there in the Spring. Water it about 1 gallon of water when a finger inserted to a depth of 4" feels almost dry or dry. Yes, the rear condo location sounds ok.

Hydrangeas do not do well inside the house so try to keep it away from air vents or windy locations. Water it well. Plant it as soon as the possibility of frost has been reduced.

o

Thank you Luis....70's today but think it is going to be cold again. This year hard to tell last date of frost!
Dividded and replanted hosta's yesterday...watered and then it rained. Today they are drooping...wrong site for hosta's but any idea's?

o

Most hostas can survive out of ground for a long time - they're almost bulletproof. They should perk up and/or regenerate.

o

Thank you all for responses, My lovely hydrangea has lost its flowers and leaves. We still have not re-potted or planted. Have read that it may be wise to re-pot for the first year or so and pray it will survive... Now learned that these plants are grown to bloom early to sell as gifts in early spring. Any special tips to a 70 year old (still novice gardener). A pot or in the ground...what dirt...any fertilizer? We have placed it on the table on the patio for now...haven't watered for a few days...best do that now. Should be OK to re-plant or re-pot I think, although still not really warm.

The hosta's have perked up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here