Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would like Limelight, but...

Posted by rgustafs 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 22:14

I REALLY want to put a Limelight in a bed I created two years ago on the NW corner of my townhouse. The bed gets afternoon sun starting at about 1:30 or 2 pm. Is that enough sun for Limelight?

Also, the bed is smaller so once the hydrangea is more mature, I'd need to keep it more narrow -- like at about 4.5-5' around. It can get as tall as it likes, as I really want it to cover the eyesore that is the white downspout on my red bricks (thanks, condo association!) Will my hacking at the width be too much for it? I thought about Little Lime, but I really want the height...

I am also thinking of adding Limelights in full sun in an area that is currently covered with a ground cover of English Ivy. I am thinking I will carve out a bed, amend it slightly, and put a few in to create some privacy and drama as you come around the corner and into the garden in the SW corner of my condo.

Thoughts are much appreciated. I really want to stick with white/chartreuse-y flowers. I am a long-time annuals gardener, but I am branching out slowly. I am sure I will have a million more Qs as the weather continues to warm.

Thanks!
rgustafs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would like Limelight, but...

Oh yeah. I am in Virginia, as I am sure that will make a difference in your answers.

o

rgustafs,
I am a big fan of limelights (kind of an obsession) so I can tell you they can handle severe pruning, just not to the ground (I've read this). My only concern with the limited sun is that it may not grow as quickly into the height you are looking for - but I bet it will eventually with selective pruning. I've read the flowers stay green longer with less sun.
It will do great in full sun and is not the water hog that other hydrangeas are. I love this plant and have it all over my yard. I am sure you will too.

o

Consider Little Lime, a smaller version of Limelight.

o

So will Limelight really thrive in full afternoon sun. How much shade will it actually tolerate? Thanks!

o

Limelights thrive in full sun - at least 6 hours per day. They can take some shade but I have read that with dense shade you will be disappointed by the lack of blooms. I would say no more than dappled afternoon shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here