Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy1717_gw

New to hydrangeas, added aluminum sulfate to bed... Now what?

amy1717
11 years ago

Despite being a bit intimidated by the chemistry involved in caring for these plants, I succumbed and bought a lovely Endless Summer last week, and am really wanting to give it a good home. I've spent hours reading hydrangea forums & websites since then, and got the general idea that to keep the blooms blue, I needed to have an acidic soil, which can be amended with aluminum sulfate. I bought a soil testing kit, found out that the bed where I want to put it is around 7.0 - 7.5 on the scale. So I added 1 cup of a/s (per the pkg instructions) to the soil, and mixed it in. (The bed is about 2' x 6'.)

What I can't find anywhere in any of these forums and sites is what to do next! Do I need to wait a while before planting to avoid burning the roots? If so, how long? I've been watering the bed (which also holds some elephant ears) regularly. Please let me know when I can transplant my new baby! BTW, it already has several tiny blooms on it, so I really don't want to shock it & and make them drop off or something. Any help will be much appreciated :)

Comments (2)