Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to hydrangeas, added aluminum sulfate to bed... Now what?

Posted by amy1717 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 22:41

Despite being a bit intimidated by the chemistry involved in caring for these plants, I succumbed and bought a lovely Endless Summer last week, and am really wanting to give it a good home. I've spent hours reading hydrangea forums & websites since then, and got the general idea that to keep the blooms blue, I needed to have an acidic soil, which can be amended with aluminum sulfate. I bought a soil testing kit, found out that the bed where I want to put it is around 7.0 - 7.5 on the scale. So I added 1 cup of a/s (per the pkg instructions) to the soil, and mixed it in. (The bed is about 2' x 6'.)

What I can't find anywhere in any of these forums and sites is what to do next! Do I need to wait a while before planting to avoid burning the roots? If so, how long? I've been watering the bed (which also holds some elephant ears) regularly. Please let me know when I can transplant my new baby! BTW, it already has several tiny blooms on it, so I really don't want to shock it & and make them drop off or something. Any help will be much appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to hydrangeas, added aluminum sulfate to bed... Now what

Your container mix is probably on the acid side and your plant should not notice any shock when transplanted. If your garden soil is naturally alkaline it will over time revert, so follow your directions to keep your soil acid. Al

o
RE: New to hydrangeas, added aluminum sulfate to bed... Now what

Thanks for the feedback, calistoga! That was what I was hoping to hear -- didn't want to have to keep it in the pot for too long, though it seems pretty happy there. I'm just excited to get it situated and see it settle in.

Will get it planted in later this week. It's supposed to drop to 39 degrees tonight, so I'll bring it inside -- we've been having weirdly fluctuating spring weather in central TX this year. Anyway, thanks a bunch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here