Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it dead?

Posted by thenightingale 6a-WV Panhandle (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 22:54

Last year I picked up an Endless Summer hydrangea for just $5 at Lowe's. After planting, it did get a little sick, but I nursed it back to health (and also beat off the deer) and it was quite a pretty little foot-tall plant and even bloomed for us before winter hit!

I carefully made a little wire cage wrapped with burlap for it and covered it for winter. It was a really brutal winter and the cage did blow off a few times (several times to the end of the street). Additionally, it looks like the *censored* deer attacked it during these times as well.

Right now, though many other things are greening away in the yard, the hydrangea is just a strange, sad little dead-looking mass of sticks. Is it...dead? *cries* Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it dead?

Some of my ES are still in full dormant mode...just the sticks and buds..and I am in Jesery - zone 6b..you can test a few sticks and see if they are totally dried and dead...if you can bend the sticks or see some green in them, the plant is alive and well, just slowly waking up from the winter sleep...based on my experience, my ES don't sprout new leaves till end of April when the temps here get consistently above 55 and nitetime temps dip to 35 or lower only on occasions...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here