Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Selection for roadside

kittens
11 years ago

Is there a hydrangea that will work along a roadside that would be subjected to snow cleared from the roads in the winter? It would be in zone 5, full all-day sun. I'm looking for something in the 3 foot range that blooms a good part of the season. I was reading a "forever & ever together" tag and it's saying it blooms on new wood. How would that work if all the old wood was off in the winter? Would the new wood reach close to the 3 feet and bloom or would I have little short ones with not much bloom? The only other hydrangea I have are in protected locations and they green up & flower on the old stocks. I almost crossed these off my list just because they like to be watered so frequently but it's hard to pass up the non-stop color they can put out!

And while I'm here, I have a totally unrelated question. I bought a "New Red Hydrangea (macrophylla)" last fall that was on death's doorstep so haven't seen it bloom. I'm just curious if it's really going to be red or if it's actually going to be on the pink side.

Comments (4)