Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting where a pine was

Posted by allstats none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 23:24

I had a Frazier fur pine that had to cut down . Now I have a large place that needs something and I would like to plant a Hydrangea there ( I have bought a Blue ,Purple ,white ,and pink ) so I am not particular on which color . just the fact if it is a good or bad thing with the pine that use to grow there and also a Lilac is in the same area about 5 foot away .
I know that the pine hurt my Lilac and am just hoping it come out of the damage . Thanks for the help in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting where a pine was

I have hostas and an oakleaf hydrangea where a huge pine used to be until we had it cut down a few years ago. While we had the stump ground out the big roots are still there rotting away slowly so I have to dig around the roots unless I want to get the axe out and cut the massive obstructions out.

Here is H. 'Ellen Huff' which occupies some of the space of the old pine.

o

"I know that the pine hurt my Lilac "

About all a Frazier Fir would do to a lilac would be to shade it and cut down on flowers. Perhaps a bit of root competition as well. Since the Fir is gone, there is nothing residual to harm the lilac or anything else.

Did you grind out the stump?

tj

o

Thank you and no the stump has not been removed as of yet but will be as much as possible . Do you have a suggestion for that also :) I plan on digging it out with the backhoe .

o

Backhoe should do nicely. When stumps are ground it is tough to not end up with a lot of woodchips in the soil. Woodchips on top of the soil as mulch are great, mixed in the soil they can tie up nitrogen for a while and you may need to add more N for a while.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here