Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frost Damage

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 23:32

My hydrangea (about 5ft tall now) was loaded with buds. The other night it got so cold my hydrangea suffered severe frost bite. Many of the leaves and some of the buds have blackened. It was looking full and beautiful and now it's unsightly. What should I do? Should I remove the damaged leaves? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frost Damage

Just let it be for now. Severely damaged foliage will eventually drop off and be replaced and you can trim off any topgrowth later when you can confirm it is dead -- IF it is dead :-)

How cold did it get? Typically hydrangeas are unaffected by spring frosts - mine are exposed to them frequently without issue.

o

Thank you gardengal. I'm not sure of the temperature but it got pretty cold and there was heavy frost and wind overnight.
I'll leave it be for now as you suggested.

o

I also had my 3rd year Endless Summer seem to bud all over then, spring frost killed all the little buds...nothing has happened since with it. Do you think it is a lost cause now?? It never had a chance to start new buds or needless to say any leaves at all. It's mid-April, nothing at all...

what do you think?

g

o

I too lost all my buds and leaves late March and nothing new is happening. I'm really worried about it and don't know what to do. Could the whole plant be dead or will I eventually get new buds and/or leaves???

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 20:25

If the stems are green you just have to be patient. Shrubs like these are ones that I wouldn't worry about. You could cut it to stubs and it will grow.

o

Same problem here with three year endless summers. I've been giving thought of a major trimming as it wasn't shaping well anyway. I'm guessing it will fare well and take on a better shape. I've hear it could re-bloom, but it's not as important.

I pass by a huge hydrangea nearby that a local farmer cuts to stubs in March. By late summer it's flourishing and blooming like crazy, but it has to be 20 years old.

o

Cadence,

I agree with gardengal...my ES got frost bit just the other night when temps dropped into the lower 30s and my mom told me to just leave the dead leaves and keep the soil moist. She said the leaves would grow back. Thank goodness ES reblooms so i may get to enjoy it at some point this season

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here