Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Oakleaf Hydrangea

Posted by tantadoodles z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 2, 06 at 23:39

About 3 years ago I planted 'Alice' against the foundation of my house. It more than doubled in size but never got any buds or blooms. After 2 years during the winter, I cut it back very severely and moved its location to a sunnier and less protected spot (thinking it needed more sun to flower). Last year it grew in tall stalks and then got chomped by some deer. (Of course it never flowered.) (Is this the saddest abuse story of a hydrangea or what?)

Now that it's spring I want to do the right thing for the poor plant. I know I pruned it way to much and now I'm thinking that the new location isn't so hot either.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to save my oakleaf and perhaps get it to flower? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Oakleaf Hydrangea

The best way to help your Oakleaf is to stop pruning it. Even if the deer hadn't eaten it, it still would not have bloomed because you eliminated all the blooms with your winter pruning. This year's oakleaf blooms are formed on the terminal ends (tips) of the stems in the late summer/early fall of the prior season and therefore have to make it through winter in order to bloom in Spring/Summer. The only safe time to prune (if you absolutely must prune at all) is right after they bloom.

Alice can handle a good amount of sun up north and all oakleafs can handle a good amount of (preferably dappled) shade. Ofcourse morning sun & light afternoon shade is always best if you have such a locale.

Now the deer, I can't help you with!!

Good luck.....yg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here