Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Lime Hydrangea - How big does it really get

Posted by TGibson 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 23:48

I bought 3 Little lime Hydrangeas. How far apart should i plant them? How big do they really get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Lime Hydrangea - How big does it really get

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 8:17

Its probably not known yet since they are newer to the market.

I can definitely tell you they lack the vigor of the other H. paniculata but its still a panciculata!

My opinion is if you want them to standout on their own do 4' if you want them to blend in together go 3' but nothing less.

If you where in a higher zone or had perfect growing conditions I wouldn't hesitate to tack on 1' to those estimates.

o

Here is an idea of size...these were planted last year and as you can see they have really taken off this spring. I cant wait to see them when in bloom. These stand about 4ft and show no signs of slowing down.

Here is a link that might be useful: little lime

o

kellyleeann- your photos are titled "Limelight1" and "Limelight2."
Just verifying that they are in fact Little Lime's?

o

Cearbhaill-
These are in fact little lime's. After posting the pictures I wondered if that would cause confusion.

o

Thu, May 17, 12 at 22:36

Those are some densely branched plants. Did you prune them?

Mine are half the size of yours after a year.

o

whaas-
These were pruned down to about a 2ft by 2ft back in the fall, but not by choice. We had the english schip laurels in the background pruned and the landscapers decide to prune everything including my little limes. They looked horrible!!! I would have loved to had the dried flowers for fall interest, but that didn't happen.
I have attached another picture that shows some little limes that were planted very early this spring. You can defiantly tell the difference in 1 years full season of growth. The 3 plants from right to left are on their 2nd year of growth while the plants further to the left were just planted around 3 months ago. I wish that I would have planted them all last year, but it can get quite expensive when you purchase that many at once. We are in a new build home so the landscaping was very minimal at best.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st year compared to 2nd year

o

They look very healthy. Please post again when they bloom!

o

Here is an update on my Little Lime's. They are doing very well as you can see and will be in full flower stage by the end of this month. When standing next to the plant in the second photo, the height of this plant reaches my chin, and I am 5'6. They are filling out very well and hopefully have reached their maximum growing size. To the left of the plants in picture 3 are 3 smaller little limes that I planted in the fall of 2011. This is their first full spring/summer growth and it will take them till next year to catch up to the others. Once they match the others, this should be a beautiful sight!!! I will post new pictures once everything has fully flowered out. What a beautiful choice in opinion. Thanks for looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Lime's

o

Awesome pictures, Kelly. These are so much tidier looking than regular Limelights (much more practical for most gardens), and I've found that the foliage is a bit darker too - arguably a better contrast between it and the blooms. I'm sure this is the real full size that most people would like to see their shrub border specimens get, unless you're going for the 8' tall hedge, etc.

o

Here is some updated photos of my little limes. They have really done well. Big beautiful flowers and a great looking round plant shape. I have been having a problems with deer as you can see the results on the plant on the left side of the stair-rail. Most of the blooms on the front side and bottom are missing.
This is the first year that I have cut them and brought them in for fresh flower arrangements. They are so lovely, I even took some to a neighbor for a baby shower center piece!
Cant say enough good things about these big beautiful plant, and all my neighbors want to know what they are!!

o

Here are the rest of my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Lime's

o

Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 22:50

Mine are still coming along from a bloom perspective. I should have good photos in 2 weeks or so.

Mine are approaching 3' tall. Planted as a loosely rooted 1 gallon plant last spring.

o

kellyleann, whaas and anyone else with photos of little lime hydrangeas... Will you please share your photos, both past and recent pictures... And your experience with growing them. I live in Southern California and I had plans to plant full size Limelight hydrangeas... Until I was told that may not be a wise idea through insightful limelight growers on Gardenweb. So now I'm turning my attention to the Little Limes in the hopes they will grow to the size and behave the way I need. How far from a house wall do you figure I need to plant them?

How quickly will they grow? If I want a hedge of Little Limes... How far apart should I plant them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here