Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf that can take more sun?

Posted by eblin 7a (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 6:33

Last summer, I planted 4 pink elfs in a row in a strip bed alongside the sidewalk leading to our front steps. Three survived and seem to be doing great, as they are lightly shaded by a japanese maple. The fourth, which received more afternoon sun, died a sad death from too much sunlight, I think.

I'm looking for a dwarf hydrangea that can take more sun, as it looks silly with something else in that spot. (There is an acuba next to the steps.) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf that can take more sun?

Have you researched Oakleafs Sikes Dwarf and Pee Wee? While taller than Pink Elf, oakleafs can take slightly more sunlight. But these are still hydrangeas so make sure the amount of afternoon sun in the middle of summer will not be an issue.

Sorry that the fourth one did not make it. If it got too much sun, the leaves in direct contact with the sun would have turned completely yellow or white-ish, including the leaf veins.

o
RE: dwarf that can take more sun?

Yellow and white? It turned brown, despite daily waterings to ensure that the soil stayed moist. Maybe I should try again, though I'm hesitant to throw another $30 down the drain...perhaps a the varieties you suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here