Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To cut, or not to cut????

Posted by joycekh 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 7:35

Every year, we cut our stems in the early spring, right down, as all my plants bloom on new wood. We just came back from 3 weeks south, and found that all the old wood (we hadn't cut yet) was budding, plus signs of new growth at the ground. What do I do.... leave the old wood alone, or cut back and let the new growth come up????
Thanks......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To cut, or not to cut????

I forgot to say that I have (5) Annabelles, and ( 8)Endless Summer varieties.....

o

I can only comment on the Annabelles--there is nothing for you to worry about. I rarely do anything at all to mine (except to water them occasionally and prop them up when the blooms get too heavy). I usually wait a bit to see what wants to produce leaves and what does not. Then I prune out any obviously dead stuff--you know, brown/tan canes with no green growth coming from them.

That's all I do. Annabelle does all the rest--most beautifully!

Kate

o

Ultimately it depends on what size you want the plant to be. In zones like 5, it seems hard for an ES to grow more than 2.5 feet from the ground in one season. So if you want to get the full 4x4 mature size out of an ES I'd suggest only prune back whatever leafless stems there are by mid-late May ONLY. Also, focus pruning on leggy, crossed, or "wavy" ones first and leave the thicker upright canes.

Arborescens seem a little less affected by pruning, as they can grow back to max height in one season from almost any pruned height (supposedly).

o

Endless summer blooms on new and old wood so you are limiting the blooms by pruning out the old wood.

As said above, take out what is still dead looking around late May only.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here