Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sampson2001

Hydrangea (Endless Summer) Leaves Turning Purplish Brown w/Holes

I'm a novice and looking for some help with the subject topic. I planted 5 ES Hydrangeas on April 27th and within one week the leaves started to turn purple-brown and some have holes. I used a soil amendment mixture of compost-manure, sweet peet and cheap topsoil (33% +/- of each). I also incorporated 1-cup of Organic Plant Tone Brand fertilizer into the amended soil. The native soils here are clays and I dug the hole 2x the width of the root ball. The roots were not root bound and I did loosen the roots thoroughly by hand. We haven't really had a severely 'wet' week and I have been watering about every-other day with a watering can (watered on the foliage and allowing to drip down). I think the watering amount is about 2/3 of a gallon. We have had some cold nights since I have planted them and I ordered these online, so when I received them besides from being smashed during shipment the plants were in decent shape with good green foliage. I have a 2yr old Hydrangea planted in the same bed which just started to begin producing foliage at the base of the plant but doesn't have nearly the amount of foliage or new growth as the new online plants. The pH of the soil is 7.0. The plants are underneath a purple-leaf sand cherry which hasn't completely bloomed but should provide decent shade. The plants are on the south side of my house and get more sun then they probably like but I live In Cleveland, OH and April/May is more overcast than anything else. I have attached pictures (it rained this morning so the leaves are wet)

Comments (15)