Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinlo

Top Picks or Must Have Hydrangeas?

cinlo
12 years ago

I'd love to get an idea of some I've not seen or considered. Just wondering if everyone could list those you love.

I have a select few, so mine are pretty common I think, but my favorites would include:

1. Limelight

2. Blushing Bride

3. Pee Gee Oakleaf

Comments (6)

• mehearty
    12 years ago

In my gardens, I love my Tardiva tree form and ES hydrangeas. I think I'm going to love BB if I can ever decide where to plant it.

• msalcido
    12 years ago

My favorites -

ES Original - Right now it is in full bloom and is fantastic.

Sabrina
    ES Twist N Shout

Not so happy with ES BB. It's blooming but not doing as good as the other ES.

• DDhydrangea
    12 years ago

I don't have lots of room so I only have my favs, limelight, endless summer, incrediball and on my wish list are vanilla strawberry and blushing bride.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Any oakleaf hydrangea would top my list - these are the most interesting and multi-season of any hydrangea type and these are the only must-haves for me. I steer away from a lot of the new introductions - Vanilla Strawberry, Incrediball, etc. I find them too gaudy and overblown. And the only one of the Endless Summer series I'd consider worth having is Twist and Shout.

I tend towards the older, very reliable for my climate choices - Mme. Emile Moulierre, Enziandom, Mariesii Variegata, Preziosa, etc. Even Nikko Blue. And I quite like Quickfire, too :-) But many of my top choices are not all that suitable for other, colder climate areas.

• madeyna
    12 years ago

Nicco, Glowing Embers , Blushing bride , Pink Diamond and Blue Billow. I have around fifty now but these as well as a dark pink noname are the ones I would have if I couldn,t have anything else. I guess I would also have to throw a Endless Summer in there because I cann,t seem to resist buying a new one early every spring for right in front of the main entry door. They have them cheap everywhere and force them to bloom really eary. I always have bloom on them until the end of nov. Of course they never bloom that early for me after that so I have to purchase a new one in bloom every spring;)

• ditas
    12 years ago

My 2cents ~ I'll go w/ Pam's (gardengal148) Oakleaf choice if I can brave another one (lost PeeWee due to wet feet) have Snow Queen & Alice (gorgeous Fall foliage) & despite the serious overwinter-coddling here in our Z4-5 love my Lacecaps (now just recvd 3Twist&Shout on MDay) certainly the only sure fire here are my beloved paniculatas (just got Baily's 2011 Great Star). This is it for me ~ a total of 36 has taken all prime real est! I still drool over a few but have set my own 2 feet down!!!