Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
masshydrangea

Looking for Incrediball in Central Mass

masshydrangea
13 years ago

I have already checked out Weston Nurseries and Bigelow. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

I think it will be very difficult to find the 3-gallon size plants around...depends on the location of the growers, the MidWest seems to have better luck to find the latest additions of Proven Winner shrubs (people in the MidWest can find 3-g Bloomerang [probably the hottest item released this season] but here in Jersey, not a soul have seen such large plants in local nurseries]...The best I can tell you is check out White Flower Farms...they are in CT, so not a bad drive from your spot...call them and see if they carry any in house or they have to order from growers and ship it to you...the other mailorder places I often goto for PW stuff - Gardencrossings - expensive, but very healthy plants most of the time, good with PW releases...Soonerplantfarm...in Oklahoma, so shipping could be expensive...plants are ok there...there are a few I goto in Oregon once awhile, but the shipping cost will be prohibitive...

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/63133-product.html

my experience with IB is they grow very very quickly..I got mine in a stick over a 4 inch pot last season, now they are almost 30 inches tall, and 18 inches wide...and each sticks have grown into a plant with 4-5 study stems, each stem with a big flowerbud head and ready to bloom..even with the sticks, I got them to bloom one bloomhead per pot last Aug-Sept...but I took the blooms out fairly quickly to let the plant grow more and better established than on that one big bloomhead..

the 1-g, 2-g plants should do better than my sticks last season...

checkout wff..

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/63133-product.html

• masshydrangea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Orchidacea! WFF is only two hours from me - I drool over the catalogs from them and I am kind of scared that if I actually go there I will spend hundreds of dollars. :)

Glad to hear that your IBs are doing well! I am really excited to get some in my garden.

As for the Bloomerangs - I finally found some last week. They were tiny and scrawny, but I couldn't help myself and I bought three!

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

I wouldn't waste my money at White Flower Farm. Their plants are over-priced and tiny. LOL.

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

Funny that WFF being around for almost 80 yrs and is one of the largest supplier, retailer in the gardening biz in the NE by selling overpriced, tiny little plants/.// Maybe people should listen to echinac. and get his plants from homedepot, lowes or some wild wetland bogs and pray for they label the pots right...everything according to echina sucks, all the new introductions suck...this suck, that suck...and nothing new he bot seems to do well in his garden and thus the whole thing suck...I am pretty damn sure he thinks all those terra-nova coneflowers suck too...maybe the soil, the land he gardens on suck.

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

Look up White Flower Farm on the Watchdog site. They get bad ratings all the time. They sell tiny Echinacea plugs for $19.99 per tiny plant. It's pretty common knowledge that they are outrageous with their prices. I won't respond to the rest because it's so childish and beneath me. Thanks.

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

Only a fool would buy the commonly available Pink Poodle coneflowers from WFF and b*tched about their price. WFF specifically said they sell those things in a 4 in qtr pot and they listed the price upfront. The info. is not hidden from the buyer. You are the willing buyer, and they are the willing seller, nothing rocket science about that.

Garden Splendor sold a bunch of pink poodles every season and most local nurseries carry them - the landscaper I work with has 50 of these this season and he never has to search for these things like he did with bloomerang, IB or IVB. The pink poodles GS sold are in 10 inch pots and about 25 bucks each. Any blah can get these things w/o going online and get them from Connecticut.

As for the other comments, check out your past posts and how other posters respond to your negative talks; all I can say is - me not alone, bro...there are always naysayers souring everything around...like i said, sometimes it's not the plants that sucks...lol..

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

I don't know if you're talking about me or not, but I didn't buy mine from White Flower Farm. I stopped shopping there a few years ago because their prices are outrageous and the plants so tiny.

I buy all my Echinaceas from McGlauflin's Perennials now for about 5 dollars. He sends plugs but I have had great results with most of them. The "Pink Poodle" Echinacea is not stable and some of them are more like "Double Decker" blooms. That has nothing to do with the person growing them. It's a problem with the plant itself. Nice try though.

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

You didn't buy from them, and yet you are so negative on them, even bother to post on gardenwatchdog to badmouth them...hmmm...what's the axe to grind?

Or you are just "such a nice person" to let everyone know that they really suck even they have been in biz for almost 80 yrs....

it seems like all these new plants you touch are either unstable or have problems one way or another...the terra nova folks probably had it with you...and yea, pinky-winky don't turn pink either - never ever have problem with mine tho...

you just the kind of person seems to spend so much time to tell other folks that this suck and that suck...maybe they should all get echina seeds from you hoping the whatever they grow will stay true to the parent AND STABLE..

some folks seek infomation about certain things, i give it to them...and you want to tell them things suck, that's alright too..but be fair, the same folks seeking information need to know about someone like you who never seems to do well with all these new plants and badmouth just about anything...go back and read all those exchgs you had with Gardengal last yr on the Terra Nova echinas...

all I can say is - people beware - people looking for Hydrangea info - better read the post from luis, ditas, gardengal and a few others...you, sir, seems to thrive on negative information and negative input...if dont like all those new things, then don't buy them...and get on with your negative world and find somethingelse to complain...maybe the unstable plants you have are reflecting something...lol

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

Are you unstable? You sound crazy like you should be in the looney bin. LOL.

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

all my plants are stable, unlike someone's...plants do reflect their owners you know...

maybe one day you will discover a stable black echina. growing in your garden... make sure you patent that...call that Endless Doomster...maybe you will finally find some joy in gardening.

so long pal...have a swell day down in negadoom, TN. LMAO.