Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help WORRIED about Kyushu Tree

Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 10:59

Good Morning ~ I consulted 2 nursery men w/ 2 different advices & sent pix to another where (originally) I got Kyushu 6 year ago (no response yet). I have posted 2 years ago about this lovely tree when her center top cane full of blooms, was taken by a tornado that came through.

She was fine last season & a red Cardinal even built a nest w/ 2 babes on her sheltering limbs!

Will appreciate any ideas & TIA!

I hope George(Ego45), Luis & Hayseedman would chime in!

Here is a link that might be useful: Worried about Kyushu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help WORRIED about Kyushu Tree ~

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, May 18, 11 at 11:02

PS ~ please click to pic to see closely. Thank you!

o
RE: Help WORRIED about Kyushu Tree

Hello, ditas. Sorry for the late reply. I have a case of allergies, cough, sneezing going on. Oh joy!

I could not clearly see the areas near the main trunk. They were to dark or fuzzy on my monitor. There seemed to be "something" on the last one that suggested a borer insect recently "digging" thru the bark or woodpecker type of bird maybe???

Where the holes are hollow, it looks like what some stems looklike when they dry out and middle soft parts decomposes with time first.

I almost lost a tree to those borer insect pests five years ago. Is the top of the tree still looking normal?

o

Wed, May 18, 11 at 15:39

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts ~ Luis! In the album you'll also see the way Kyushu tree looks like ~ healthy green and full. I did prune just to shape her head evenly ~ just how I discovered the holes as I was checking the area of where tornado broke her off.

I'll probably go ahead & use the *Tree & Shrub* insect control water-solu. mix I brought home last night after consulting w/ 1 of the nurseryman. I was told that it won't harm the tree if it turns out not to be so. Better err on the safe side ~ I just hate using chems!

Thanks again!!!

o

Fri, May 20, 11 at 10:23

I went ahead & erred on the side of *can't go wrong* ~ dribbled *Shrubs & Trees* recommended treatment for possible borers ~ around the peripheral circle-drip-line of this *Princess Kyu* ~ w/ fingers crossed I hope it helps.

I applied sunny-2 days ago & now it is raining moderately I hope it does not dilute the treatment lest will have to repeat ~ what do you think Luis?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here