Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help, bluebird is in trouble

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 11:05

My recently planted bluebird is not doing well, and I have no idea what it is. This is my first hydrangea. The leaves have some reddish brown spots on them, one or two look like they've been nibbled on, and the blossom buds have a rust color also. I'm not concerned about the nibbled leaves(very minor), but the discoloration. It should have blue flowers, but it is normal for the buds to be reddish brown? My guess is no. Please, if you know, tell me what this is. I'm gardening organically, but i just need to know what it is! Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help, bluebird is in trouble

If your BB receives several hours of sunlight each day, it is normal for H. serratas to develop burgundy/rusty colored foliage. The flower color will be influenced by the pH of the soil, a pH of about 6.5 or less will cause production of blue flowers, above that and you likely will have pink ones. I have tried only one BB, that was planted in very acidic red clay soil and after one year of blue flowers, it began to produce pink ones, a color I did not want in it's location and the only one in the garden with pink flowers, so I dug it up and gave it to a friend. It was replaced with a Blue Billow, which has remained true blue!

o

A little off topic but I have both blue billows and bluebird and both are pink. I overwintered them in my garage and have just planted them, so first year in the ground but right now both are pink. East Tennessee is supposed to have acid soils? I'll see what happens in later years.

o

Well, this is in a raised bed right at the foundation of the house. I tested pH before planting, it was so alkaline it was off the charts! So I added Epsoma sulfur. So the rust colored spots on leaves aren't a dx? What a relief!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here