Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf spots

Posted by bradster 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 11:44

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and looking for a little help!

My F&E Red Hydrangea (sold as similar to Endless Summer)develops brown spots on leaves. Seems to start on one side of the plant, spread to the rest of the plant and then to the adjacent plant. I have treated it for fungus using maneb, but it doesn't seem to help. I wish I could paste or attach pictures ....

Further info in case it helps: the Day Lillies which were in that same location previously also developed the same (or similar) problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf spots

Hello, bradster. Brown spots usually suggests a fungal infection but the type of fungus must first be identified before you can apply the correct fungicide. See the link below for some types of fungal infections and see which one seems to match yours.

I am concerned about how early in the year you have a fungal problem. It is normal to see some degree of leaf spots as the growing season progresses but this is way too early for that problem.

There are several things that you can do to prevent fungal infections. Separate plants so there is always good air movement between them. Pick up plant debris under the plants. Water the soil (not the leaves) early in the mornings: insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 4" and water the plant when the soil feels almost dry or dry. If the soil feels moist or wet, do not water. If the soil feels wet too often, try to determine why and take appropriate corrective action. Replace the old mulch -it is probably full of spores- with new mulch. In the Fall, dispose of blooms and leaves as trash, not on the compost pile. Additional steps that other people can take is to prune overhead shrubs or trees so the hydrangea gets an extra hour of sun; or use drip irrigation in this problem area. Note: the above mentioned suggestions can also be applied to other types of plants such as rhodies, azaleas, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungal Diseases of Hydrangeas by ACES

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here