Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Hydrangeas?

Posted by jennynashville TN (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 11:51

Ok, at this point I'm almost positive that these do not exist, but this is my absolute last try at finding out.

In 2008, I saw this sort of bad movie called "Rachel Getting Married" (Anne Hathaway, recently out of rehab, gets dramatic at her sister's wedding). While the idea for the movie made me cringe, the actual wedding footage was gorgeous and I SWEAR I saw orange Hydrangeas. They were astounding. They may not have been what I thought they were, because in 2008 I knew even less about plants than I do now, but they looked exactly like Hydrangeas. Is it unheard of to color Hydrangeas orange? Especially for a movie I could see them doing this, but how? With dye? And if so, is it the sort of thing where you put the dye in the plant's water, or would you do dip the petals in it or, or, or... help?

(I actually also just emailed the "greensperson" for that movie to see if she could provide some sort of insight into what I may have seen, I think I just need closure, ha).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Hydrangeas?

As far as I know there is no such thing as 'orange hydrangea'.
However, mature blooms on 'Matisse' (red in pH over 7.0) has a kind of orange-brick-terracotta color.

o

Go to hydrangeashydrangeas.com and follow her instructions on how to dye hydrangeas. I have dyed mine every colour under the sun, and I have also spray painted them for a wedding I did last fall. Both worked teriffic.

o

I bet they were dyed or sprayed. I'm pretty sure there are no naturally orange hydrangeas. There are so many ways to dye hydrangeas, and some of them look very natural.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steps to Dyeing Hydrangeas

o

Look at this:
http://www.fiftyflowers.com/product/Hydrangea-Tinted-Orange-Flower_205.htm

It says they are "tinted".

o

This Picture was taken in Knoxville, TN, November 6, 2014. It is very much alive and undisturbed.

I want to know more about the orange hydrangea but my searches are all dead ends.

o

Probably spray painted like this article...

Orange Hydrangea Article

o

It looks like an artificial flower stuck in the dirt with a real bush to me.

o

OK, let's be perfectly straight here. There are NO orange flowering hydrangeas........they simply do not exist. It IS possible for some white flowered hydrangeas to age to a peachy-rose color, much like the above photo - virtually all hydrangea flowers do go through a variety of color changes as they age on the plant - but they do not start out with that coloring.

The above photo looks like a paniculata that has taken on some interesting late season coloring but the flower started out white. Any orange colored hydrangea flowers you find will be either the result of the flower aging process or dyed/painted. They do not bloom that color. Period.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here