Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bred

Limelight questions

t_bred
11 years ago

I planted a Limelight on the Southwest corner of my house, it seems okay with the amount of sun, no burnt leaves ect...

The problem is it hasn't grown an inch since I planted it a month ago(is this normal?) and the inside leaves closest to the base are yellowing. I'm not sure of the normal leaf color for this one but the mature leaves are very light green. I have fertilized it twice since I've had it, not sure if it's a N deficiency or if it needs a hit of Iron. Any help/advice on growing this would be appreciated,it just seems to be languishing. Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I think you are expecting too much too fast :-) A newly planted shrub takes time to establish and put on much growth - it's busy developing a good root system. Back off on any more fertilizing and keep it well watered. That's all it needs for its first season.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

From my observations, limelight growth seems to run a bit behind some of their fellow paniculatas. Yellow leaves at the base can indicate too much water - keep up with watering twice a week if no rain, or else water only when new wood stems begin to bend - you will notice this before the leaves droop.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Hi t-bred ~ I agree w/ g-g148 ~ I planted mine in Jun '09 in a SE sunny site ~ she is fast catching up w/ Tardiva (planted in '05) & even fuller/leafier & I've never fed her except for the few handfuls of cotton-burr compost during planting & watered her well. She has produced tons of blooms since!

Leave her alone for a while ~ could just be a reaction to planting. As g-g148 said give her time to establish in her new home!

Good luck & have fun with her!!!

• t_bred
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! I will admit, I sometimes have an impatient streak when it comes to my garening! Last question though, should I expect her to flower this year? Can't wait 'til this one gets huge!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Mine did the 1st year due to the hormone treats the nurseries douse them w/ for the market. However it took 2 years for just a few to show up again ~ now her 7th season in ground, produced a few on both ends that this Spring's night-frost didn't burn. Even the freeze-burned ones managed to blossom w/ slightly toasty centers ~ sigh!

As *Chelone* who posted, what I thought was a great primer on growing H petiolaris, suggested getting a thick book to read to ease our impatience (I read the life of Georgia O'Keeffe)! She posted photos covering their beautifully built trellis just for their climbing *Queen of the Twining World*

I saw another photo of one covering a huge bolder ~ I could only dream of!!!

I love mine to death, whose only job is to cover an ugly wall of broken cement blocks ~ sigh!!!

Go treat yourself to some that give instant rewards of blooms in the meantime!!!

• ditas
    11 years ago

Oooops sorry I thought the ? was about slow-growing Climbing H!!! Apologies please!

In any case *Mine did the 1st year due to the hormone treats the nurseries douse them w/ for the market.* still applies & will continue to produce more as season progress!!!