Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valtorrez

Live in St. Louis, MO- can plant take full sun

valtorrez
13 years ago

I'm debating if I want the new hydrangea or plant a knock out rose bush in an area that use to be shade but now the city cut down a tree and trimmed another so this area gets full sun. I would normally plant a KO rose bush but wondering about shade aspect wants limbs starts to grow back on trimmed tree. For now, would hydrangea take full sun?

Comments (7)

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

Hyrangeas in general doesn't take full sun...there a few will do ok under full sun - such as Limelight, Pinky Winky or QuickFire...the usual mopheads - like Endless Summer, Nikko Blue etc will not take the St. Louis Full Sun in Summer...I used to live in Chesterfield, MO for many yrs, boy, it can get real hot there - over 95 for a week, 100 sometimes..under the same condition, a knockout rose will bloom like crazy...I have knockouts blooming like crazy with only 4 hrs of afternoon sun here in Jersey...imagine a 7 hrs hot sun in St. Louis, plus the humidity there, wow..the knockout would be in heaven...I dont't know what kind of tree they trim, it may take yrs to for the limbs to grow back, but then, if the spot on get morning sun, nothing else after mid-day, you could try one of those mophead Hyrangeas. I find it easier to get Endless Summer to bloom with some sun (2-3 hrs in the morning, nothing else) then the ones over the sunnier spot...the plants in the limited sun area never need afternoon waterings like the ones under the suunier spots...those in the sunnier spots wilt in summer afternoons and they look quite stress out everyday - and with fewer and smaller blooms. jmho.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

If you want a hydrangea that likes the sun, get one of the paniculatas--such as Pinky Winky. On the other hand, an arborescens hydrangea like Annabelle can take some sun, but would definitely start wilting in all afternoon hot sun. It is the macrophylla hydrangeas, called mopheads, that need the most shade. So it depends on which type hydrangea you select.

Kate

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi Vt - I used to live in St Louis eons ago - our summer sun & humidity in IA make quite a statement as well!!!

I agree w/ O & Db - if you like the mop-head type of blossoms your choice might be quite limited, however, new cultivars like *Tickled Pink* & *Vanilla Strawberry* ... worth looking into! No doubt *KO Rose* bushes will have a ball & can grow huge, as well (I've had to severely prune last season to tame down the ones in F/S).

I happen to be partial to 'loose & lacey' (sounds awful for lovely dames, huh!!! LOL) Paniculata blossoms - will have a ball under F/S exposure as well & offers Winter interests (if you won't mind the *dirty socks* color by then) ... "gamboling" in the Winter winds! Â;)

Good luck on your final choice ... winners either way!!!

• flowerchild59
    13 years ago

Have you considered the smaller buddleias such as little ball? They would do well in full sun and give you blooms too.

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have KO's in my backyard that get full sun and bloom like crazy. I love those roses, they have little maintenance besides getting rose food every couple of months. I however do not have room fro a kO in this area I wanted to place hydrangea. I was looking for a small hydrangea that can take getting some sun

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi again- I'm not an expert & my limited experience since 2006 ... mopheads might scorch under full sun. Paniculatas might be your best bet ... they are mostly huge (6'x6'-10') The new 2010 intro, promoted as more compact ... *Van. Strawberry* (6-7'hx4-5'w) & *Tickled Pink* (4-5'hx5-6'w) ... I just got one of each & jury is still out! VS was developed in UK & TP by Dr Dirr in GA (I have another of Dr Dirr's H & is one of my most beautiful H serrata. I suggest u do a search on compact f/s cultivar, if u are bent on Hyd'g for the site you have in mind ... will help in your choice!

The up side, if you can afford TIME & an alternate site ... u can always dig up & relocate!

'Hope this helps ... my best to u!!! Â;)

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    13 years ago

I live in Chicago area and planted a ES this spring in a almost full sun location (get sun all morning - 4 pm). We are having a hot spell (~85-90f) the last 3 days. The plant really wilt during the day. It mostly came back in the evening. But some of leaves already became dark and crisp. I lived in STL a few years ago and the summer there is long and hot. So I would not recommend this type of hydrageas in a full sun or mostly fun sun location. JMHO.