Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chantilly Hydrangea

Posted by kandykiss z7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 11:58

Hi, I just bought this plant(Chantilly Hydrangea) last night and was curious if it could take full sun? The tag says only moring sun but everything I've read on the internet says full sun. Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chantilly Hydrangea

If you live in the southern half of the country or near the middle point, you will need to provide some shade protection, especially during the worst part of the summer. In the northern states near the Canadian border, you can provide full shade. There is a way to make sure, though.

Leave the plant in the black pot that it came in from the nursery. Then dig a hole for the pot and place the pot in the hole. Mulch it, water it and observe how the plant does during the summer months. If it does well, cut any roots that are circling in the pot and plant the hydrangea in the ground as Fall temperatures arrive. If you notice that the leaves in direct contact with the sun start completely yellowing out or turn white-ish, the plant is getting too much sun and needs to be placed in a more shaded area right away.

o
tYpO

"In the northern states near the Canadian border, you can provide full sun."

o

Is it by chance, Hydrangea paniculata 'Chantilly Lace'?
If so, it will need at least 6 hours of sunlight, in order to flourish and bloom well.
Mine is grown in full sun, with no apparent difficulties.
You will need to pay attention to moisture needs during the first year, until the roots are well established, after that, they will tolerate some drought conditions.
'Chantilly Lace' is a product of Michael Dirr's breeding program at UGA-CANR, Deering, GA.
Rb

o

yes that is the one , Thanks so much for the info!! BTW does yours get to be a good size? Thanks again :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here