Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas dying! Please help!

Posted by MeganM13 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 11:59

The dwarf cityline venice hydrangeas that I recently bought are developing dark brown/black spots on the leaves and spots on the stems as well. (Little black spots running up and down the stems) We have recently had a lot of rain... could this be a fungus? Is there anything I can do to help the plants? I haven't even had a chance to plant them yet and they are still in the pots! I'm afriad if this continues that I will lose them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas dying! Please help!

Can you post pictures? Does it easily come off? Most of the time, fungal infections start on the leaves and can propagate to stems. Really bad infections of anthracnose can be a problem. But other times, the issue is just leaf spots. Controlling the excessive humidity should be priority one. By viewing what you are seeing, someone might be able to identify THE problem. Leaf spots sometimes automatically self correct once summer weather patterns start (low humidity; high temperatures).

In the meantime, make sure that you do not do overhead watering. Instead, water the soil early in the mornings. Also, water when the soil feels dry if you insert a finger to a depth of 4"; you can also water if it feels almost dry. Dispose in the trash all plant debris found under the shrub.

o
RE: Hydrangeas dying! Please help!

Little black spots running up and down the stems are very common and obvious on many H. macrophyllas - they are lenticels or tiny pores that allow gas exchange and are not a concern.

Leaf spot from various causes can also be common and is usually more disfiguring than harmful. Follow Luis' advice and the plant should grow out of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here