Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

Endless Summer and Penny Mac blooms?

ditnc
12 years ago

I bought an Endless Summer a few weeks ago. I have not transplanted it into the ground yet. But it doesn't appear to have any flower buds.

Will it bloom this year or is it the type to bloom in its second or third season? (Many of the ones at the nursery were blooming in their pots.)

I also have a Penny Mac, also still in its container. Will it bloom this year?

And if they will bloom this year, when should I expect them to flower?

Thanks! I am new to the experience of growing hydrangeas!

Comments (11)

• ditnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

P.S. The ES is "The Original" in case it matters.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Did you see a Mini-Penny when you bought the Penny Mac? I just "ran into one" by accident! No blooms yet though, it was still in the broccoli phase.

• ditnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am brand new to hydrangeas. I don't even know what the "broccoli phase" is...

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Broccoli phase is when the flowers start to form (they resemble broccoli). They both should flower fine just be patient. The ES is a rebloomer so it will bloom more than once. The penny is not a rebloomer but both of these bloom on the first year. Mine bloom in late June or in July but I am in zone 5.

Luis, i have been dying to get my hands on a mini but cannot seem to find any in my area. Did you purchase the one you ran into?

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    12 years ago

Lowes is loaded with them here.....

• monroehydrangea
    12 years ago

ditnc, welcome to the club. I am a hydrangea collector and I glad to hear that you just bought them. I just bought my Mini Penny from Home depot to add to my collection. If there are any futher quiestions feel free to ask me or other hydrangea lovers in this forum. Once again, welcome to the lovely world of hydragea:)

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

In theory, with "enough" sun (mostly morning, some late afternoon) any hydrangea should be able to bloom sufficiently. Maybe the one you bought was overly shaded or crowded out at the nursery/store. Don't count your chickens 'til the end of Summer! Walmart had ES BB's but they were buried behind T&S and Originals - all but one had a bud on it, and that was a week ago!

• ditnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Well I went out and checked them both all over looking for any sign of any "broccoli" formations, but there were none.

I realize I don't have any morning sun in my yard except a small area on the southeast side of my garage, and it would be a waste to plant the hydrangea there since I would never see it.

So I planted the ES "original" in a spot that receives full sun from late morning until about 2. I don't love it getting the 1:00 - 2:00 PM sun, but I am going to give it a try. The only other option is a shaded area that gets full sun for about an hour in the late afternoon (when it is the hottest here).

The Penny Mac is in a container and I think I will leave it in a container so I can move it around to catch the sun on the deck! I say it's a Penny Mac, but I got it at the Farmer's Market and it was unlabeled. That's what the guy told me, but I guess I won't know for sure until it blooms.

I read that they both bloom on new wood, so I should get some blooms eventually this summer, right? (Pls say yes!)

• melaroma
    12 years ago

I learned something new today as I was not aware that the Penny Mac was a rebloomer. Nice!

Take a closer look at your hydrangeas as the blooms might still be very tiny and hard to see. You might need to gently move the top two small leaves at the tip of the stem to see them. They will look like this picture (Note that I had to do a close up for them to be noticeable)

• ditnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Those are awesome pictures. I did not have as steady of a hand! Here are what mine look like...I don't see buds.

Basically, what I see when I look very closely at the new leaves, are newer tiny baby leaves, not buds. :(

Well, I guess I just wait and see. My neighbor's blue hydrangeas are spectacular and I am jealous! I want some, too. I know, patience is a virtue. :)

• melaroma
    12 years ago

There could be visible buds beneath those new baby leaves in a couple of weeks. Be patient and keep an eye on it and you'll see them soon enough. Enjoy!