Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Penniculata strange leaf problem.

Posted by Escobar vancouver, wa (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:04

This is a Hydrangea Penniculata Phantom. It is a standard in a large tall container. New leaf growth is being affected by something. here are no visible bugs on it. new leafs are not developing right, they are tiny and clumping together, almost looks like they are forming a flower, but to early for that. The rest of the plant looks good,except for a few wrinkled leafs. It gets plenty of water. My other Limelight Hydrange that is 15 feet away is looking great. Full sun on brick patio, did great last year in this location. what could this be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Penniculata strange leaf problem.

Distortion of the foliage by puckering or crinkling, especially on new growth, is usually the result of insect damage, typically from sucking insects like aphids. There may well not be insects on the plant right now but they were very likely there just as that new growth was forming......that's like their favorite snack!

There is still time to prune that off if it bothers you.

o

If the problem persists, I would try releasing beneficial insects like ladybugs, etc. To prevent future infestations, release the ladybugs about 2-4 weeks before the date when the problem started this year (so if the problem started today, release them next year around the middle of April). Once you have a high enough level of these benefiail insects, you will not need to repeat this every year of course. To maintain these guys around, provide them with some water and reduce (or eliminate) the use of insecticides as insecticides will also kill beneficial insects. And if the number of beneficial insects gets too low, that can allow aphids to get out of control in future years.

o

Thank you for your responses.

Garden gal, do you think if I remove this new growth I can still get flowers this year?

Luis, will definatelle go out and get some ladybugs. Hopefully it will bloom this year. It is such a gorgeous little tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here