Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late in season for Hydrangea Pruning?

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 12:29

I haven't gotten around to pruning my Limelight Hydrangeas yet. It's May 9th in Zone 6. They are leafing out but I dont (think) I see any buds.

Can I still prune or will I cut off all the buds for this season? Also, I realize they are too close to each other, as they will get much bigger. They are 4 yrs old. I'm thinking of digging them up and replanting to give them more space. If I do this, should I prune before or after? I don't want the shock the bejeezus out of them!

Pic below:

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late in season for Hydrangea Pruning?

If it were me, I'd do nothing until fall. Hopefully however, someone with knowledge about flower bud development will come along to answer your specific question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here