Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion planting

Posted by roseabbey 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 13:12

Last year, I planted 7 endless summer hydrangea around our 12ft octagon shape gazebo. I would like to plant something between the hydrangeas. Two reasons, one is I would like some color before the hydrangeas bloom and second, I dont think the hydrangeas will grow big enough to take up all the space between. One side of the gazebo gets morning sun, the other side afternoon sun, so I need something that likes both sun and partial shade. I would like a perennial. Any suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion planting

For the shady area, you could add Astilbe, Spicebush, and Summersweet, azaleas/rhododendrons, dwarf holly bushes, daffodils, camellias, hostas, heuchera, ferns, etc. On the sunnier side, you could add roses, daylilies, etc

o

luis, I am hoping to plant just one type of plant, one that will not take away from the beauty of the hydrangea once they are in bloom.

o

You could do knockout roses. Mine only get about 6 hours of sun and are quite happy. They bloom early and stay in bloom well into fall.

o

Hmm, Knockout Roses will not work in the sunny part if roseabbey does not want the shrubs to take away from the hydrangeas in bloom.

Other part shade-full sun compact plants that may work are Amsonia Blue Ice, also called Blue Star Flower. It gives blue-ish/lavender flowers (yellow leaves in the Fall). Aquilegia is another plant you could research; it comes in pink & white, red & white; yellow; also called Origami Columbine.

o

luis, the blue flower could definately be a contender.

o

Annuals!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here