Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eosinophil

Annabelle or ??

eosinophil
10 years ago

Hi All!
I'm looking for some expert advice. I wanted to get Annabelle to go in a new foundation bed, but I'm having trouble finding it locally. I could order one, but since it's a foundation plant I'd rather get a bigger one which means local purchase.
My local stores have things like Blushing Bride, and the Endless Summer line, but I always understood the Macrophyllas - even the fancy new ones - just weren't as reliable as good old Annabelle. But maybe I'm just outdated? I have seen some of the new Paniculata - I think Little Lime- around. Opinions on those? Oh, change is hard!! I'm not terribly concerned over color, I love them all!
Thanks for any advice!!

Comments (10)

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

How much space do you have in your bed? What's the sun exposure, and what direction does the bed face?

Home Depot here (Michigan) has Incrediballs, which are like an improved Annabelle.

• eosinophil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the question - sorry to not include that important info! It's a north facing exposure but protected by the house on the south and the woods that start a few feet from the bed to the north. Little direct sun - maybe a couple of morning hours in the summer but relatively bright. The bed is about seven feet deep and I think the space I have for them is maybe twelve feet wide - maybe a bit more. Thanks again!!

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

Annabelles are considered generic. If you can find one anywhere, it would likely be locally or regionally grown and in a plain black pot. A standard #3 would run the typical $25, normally.

However, it's kind of sad nowadays how "name brand" plants overrun big box stores, etc.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

I have noticed the same too so I figure their thinkinf goes like this....

Prices for "generics" are lower so profits for them will be lower. So, the big box stores add a lot patented shrubs with higher prices to produce higher profits. And either they sell no "generics" or very few.

Hee hee hee! Oh well. Sad if that turns out to be true.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

A local nursery is your best bet-failing that the Big Boxes may have Incrediball

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Home Depots here have Annabelle and Incrediball as do some other places locally. I'd personally pay the few extra $ for an Incrediball, especially since you're planting in a fair amount of shade, where Annabelle can get taller and more floppy than when she's planted in a sunnier location.

I have both, and have replaced many of my Annabelles with Incrediballs.

It sounds like quite a bit of shade for a paniculata (like Little Lime), and if you go with a macrophylla, you'll need to protect it in winter if you want to ensure bloom. So I agree that Annabelle, or Incrediball, would be a lot more reliable.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Interesting, as of last weekend, my HDs do not have Annabelle or their cousins. But I have seen them in local/small nurseries. Maye the shipment is still on its way.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Landscape contractors have wholesale sources of plants, much more varied than retail outlets. Make friends of a local contractor and see if he will be willing to order what you want. Offer to pay retail, in advance. Al

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I was in Lowe's this a.m. and they had Annabelle. Luis_pr, maybe the big boxes here carry more arborescens because hardiness is a bigger issue.

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

That would be correct. 99% of big box generics around here consist of Nikko, David Ramsey, Penny Mac, Grayswood and Preziosa. Then 1% everything else.... Arborescens of any kind are really scarce, which makes no sense in my zone...