Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Sensation Hydrangea?

Posted by hvaldez 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 13:22

Like many mother's throughout the country, I received a hydrangea as a gift yesterday. The tag has very little info and only says "Pink Sensation". The plant has full gorgeous pink mop-head flowers and beautifully wrapped. I tried looking it up online but all I could find is a pink sensation hydrangea tree with cone shaped flowers not like the one I have. Does anyone know about the plant I received and whether it needs to be in shade, sun etc? I would like to plant it right now. This is my first post in this forum and look forward to any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Sensation Hydrangea?

It is a type of macrophylla (bigleaf hydrangea) with bubblegum pink mophead flowers. Received inbloom now and as a gift plant, it is most likely a greenhouse grown or florist's plant and therefore has received a very coddled and sheltered life :-) It needs to be gradually transitioned to the outdoors before planting in the ground. Morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal or all day filtered shade. Moist but well-drained soil -- the same conditions for any other bigleaf hydrangea.

o

Thank you so much gardengal. I was hoping one of you super knowledgeable folks would cruise this forum. I was thinking the same thing about the whole greenhouse/florist treatment. I set it outside yesterday. I am thinking to plant it on the shady north facing side of the house.

o

it may take a season or 3 before it preforms--be patient.

o

I also received one of these hydrangeas as a gift. It was beginning to look a little sick inside so I planted it outside in what seemed like an ideal spot, filtered sunlight in the morning and shade in the afternoon. It perked up that day and the next morning but by the afternoon, it looked wilted and sick again. I watered it again. Hope it looks better tomorrow, however I'm afraid it won't make it. :(

o

I planted an Easter issue: a "sheltered" Merritt's Supreme (probably similar to yours) - in full sun. Some of the "original" leaves began to turn dark and crack/wilt at the edges, but the newer leaves (since transplant) seem to be holding up. One thing I tried is a 2.5' long aluminum baking pan held to the ground and upright by metal stakes, shielding the young plant from afternoon sun. For the acclimation I gradually tilted it west to allow more and more sun to hit every few days. The wilt has greatly slowed now, even with the arrival of hotter and hotter days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here