Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Showy Lacecap for Foundation Shrub?

I will be removing a varigata hydrangea from my foundation landscape that rarely blooms for me. Since I already have several h. paniculas in the area, I'd like to try something different, like a lacecap. But none of the lacecaps I've ever seen in person have the 'flower power' to show up from far away.

I prefer a plant that is fairly compact of habit, less than 5 feet tall, and if possible, leaves smaller than typical mopheads. Pink or red flowers would be ideal, but I could live with blue or white, especially if the white becomes red later in the season.

My soil is acid, the light would be about 2 hours of direct early afternoon sun and the rest of the time would be bright shade.

Are there any lacecaps out there that fit these criteria?

Thanks,

Lois in PA

Comments (9)

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

The Bits of Lace or Twist n Shout sound like a good choice for you. Get just as big as your varigata. Also if you want a little smaller Hydrangea the Let's Dance Starlight would be a good choice at 2' by 3'.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi Lois - Check out Blue Frost as well - was a surprise to me! Planted in a N foundation strip - started pink (1st season) due to alkaline sippage from garage cement but turned to blue after a few drinks of morning coffee (2nd season) ... voile!!! Pix from my BF journal.

I understand about Variegata Mariesii I have one in front foundation - I wish I could trade their places (may still)!!!

Best wishes on your shopping!!! Â;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Frost

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Wow that is a very nice hydrangea! Does it require winter protection?

• ditas
    13 years ago

Yes, BF is a Korean dwarf H serrata (a compact 3-4'x3-4' max potential size) - in our zone I do have to protect all marginal bloomers seriously.

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

You could also take a look at 'Hallasan'- another dwarf serrata from Korea. It's a great little plant, and would have the pink color you are hoping for, at least, in sweet soil.

• melaroma
    13 years ago

Ditas, do you really give your hydrangeas coffee? What does that do and how often do you do it? The soil here in Utah is way Alkaline so everytime it rains it washes away any acid in the soil I may have applied.

• ditas
    13 years ago

I do - I learned only in 2006 that the reason my old Nikko never produced blue again, since the kids gave her to me in 1990 was because she was planted in a bed at the edge of our p'atio ... alkaline released from cement ... BF planted in a similar situation produced pink blooms as well.

I could have just used *AS* to acidify, but after reading that people (don't remem. City & State) requested Starbucks' brewed grounds of the day for their gar'den needs, curiosity got me. I understand that grounds have to be scratched or tilled in, otherwise becomes a barrier & proper watering fails for these constantly thirsty species. I do scratch some grounds around my color convertible macros (ESs, F&E & Nikko) - Nikko's best were just lavender ... BF was the best responder!

Sorry long story but FWIW! Â;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Got coffee drinks!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blue Frost is lovely...Do the blue flowers show up well in dappled shade?

Lois in PA

• ditas
    13 years ago

BF only gets short AM sun in this bright-shaded-N foundation strip ... dappled shade would be perfect! W/ your acidic soil you won't have to offer any coffee drinks either!

*Blue Frost* was produced by Hines Horticulture.