Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkadelic_gw

Hydrangeas in Southwest Florida

monkadelic
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been lurking the forums for a few weeks and I am impressed with the knowledge here. I thought I was in zone 9, but might be in zone 10. I got some hydrangeas (I have been enamored with them for years) since I thought it might be a challenge but possible. I currently have two ES (picked up on a trip to South GA), two random macs from Home Depot and Walmart, and a florist version from a local grocery.

My inspiration to even try (as I have never seen them this far south) came from a member here that says that they have thriving hydrangeas in North Fort Myers, which is over the bridge from me.

My yard gets a lot of sun, and obviously the temps are already in the low 90s here most days. I'm also a totally novice gardener. What can you all suggest that I do to keep these lovelies healthy? They are all currently in large pots so I can move them around the yard to find the best place to keep them permanently. I don't get enough shade on the south side of the yard to keep them where I wanted, the east side doesn't seem to get shade until 2-3 pm or so (roses are happy there), and the north side doesn't get much either. West side is all shade, thanks to a monster oak.

Right now, they are on the southeast corner under a reclanada, so they are getting a little bit of AM sun but lots of shade, and they are getting watered everyday in self-watering pots. They are showing wilt by mid-afternoon, but they pop back up nicely come evening.

Thanks for any help and tips you can provide!

Comments (2)