Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas in Southwest Florida

Posted by monkadelic 9/10? (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 13:37

Hi everyone, I have been lurking the forums for a few weeks and I am impressed with the knowledge here. I thought I was in zone 9, but might be in zone 10. I got some hydrangeas (I have been enamored with them for years) since I thought it might be a challenge but possible. I currently have two ES (picked up on a trip to South GA), two random macs from Home Depot and Walmart, and a florist version from a local grocery.

My inspiration to even try (as I have never seen them this far south) came from a member here that says that they have thriving hydrangeas in North Fort Myers, which is over the bridge from me.

My yard gets a lot of sun, and obviously the temps are already in the low 90s here most days. I'm also a totally novice gardener. What can you all suggest that I do to keep these lovelies healthy? They are all currently in large pots so I can move them around the yard to find the best place to keep them permanently. I don't get enough shade on the south side of the yard to keep them where I wanted, the east side doesn't seem to get shade until 2-3 pm or so (roses are happy there), and the north side doesn't get much either. West side is all shade, thanks to a monster oak.

Right now, they are on the southeast corner under a reclanada, so they are getting a little bit of AM sun but lots of shade, and they are getting watered everyday in self-watering pots. They are showing wilt by mid-afternoon, but they pop back up nicely come evening.

Thanks for any help and tips you can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas in Southwest Florida

The leaves of my hydrangeas suffereed when they got summer sun until mid afternoon sokeep them in sun until 11am-12pm. However, since your shrubs are in pots, you can change the locations if you notice that the leaves in direct contact with the sun are turning all yellow (including the leaf veins). An area that is not too windy is also good (less watering, less wilting). The west side is also an option if you can put the plants on the east side of the tree. I have a hydrangea on the west side of the house but it is shaded by a pine tree in the afternoons.

o
RE: Hydrangeas in Southwest Florida

Thanks luis! Unfortunately the oak is within feet of our carport, so no sun makes it to that area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here