Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graciebear10

Need help with growing hydrangeas.

graciebear10
13 years ago

I have a hydrangea plant in a pot that I would like to transplant outside. I'm not sure what kind it is. This is my first attempt at growing hydrangeas. My problem now is that the plant's leaves are turning brown and drying out around the edges. Am I doing something wrong? Is this some type of disease? Can the plant be saved? Please help!

Comments (4)

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

do you have the name for the hydrangea? if not, did you get that from a florist, a grocery store around Mother;s Day? Or you get teh plant from box stores like homedepot, lowes? Leaves turning brown, drying out around the edges could be just the natural aging process - as long as you have a lot of green leaves left...if the green leaves have curly edge, that means the plant is thirsty...needs some water...most hydrangeas get from the florist, grocery stores look nice but they most likely not gonna give you more blooms for the yr..and worse yet, they may not be hardy enough for the Ohio winter if you plant it outside...it will be helpful if you have a nametag for the plant and see what you have..hydrangeas are really easy to grow and tolerate a lot of human mistakes...so no worry, just see what you have and go from there.

• hdgrdnr_lilann
    13 years ago

Drying or browning along the edges of the leaves is normally a sign of not enough water. The soil may have dried at one point and that will turn the leaf margins brown. Even in hot weather the leaves will not turn brown unless the plant runs out of water. Hydranges are very thirsty plants and need a lot of water and good drainage. They ordinarily like light shade. The more sun they get the more water they need. It's true, florist hydrangeas are more sensitive to low winter temps and may not bloom after a very cold winter. The freezes can kill the floral buds produced by the end of the summer. Get hardy hydrangeas or re-blooming types that flower on new wood (Endless Summer, All Summer Beauty) If you've bought your hydrangea at a nursery chances are it will adapt to your weather. If it's a florist hydrangea, it may not adapt to winter freezes and won't flower. At any rate, plant it out in light to medium shade, good garden soil, keep it mulched and give it plenty of water through the summer. Richard

• graciebear10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your help. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, my computer was down for a couple of days. I did find out that it is a "Merritt's Supreme" and I bought it at Home Depot. I thought that I had been watering it enough, but maybe I haven't been.

• pattytricia
    13 years ago

I have hydrangeas, but they don't like where, I put them. They are not growing a lot. But I have one that is in shade and it is large. Should I move all in shade? Thanks