Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanilla Strawberry or Pinky Winky?

Posted by camilleinnh 5a NH (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 13:48

I am putting in a long shrub border along a stone wall, and want to include a few paniculata hydrangeas. It's south facing with a few very large trees, so it gets lots of sun with just a little dappled shade in the late afternoon.

Both Vanilla Strawberry and Pinky Winky look intriguing. It's hard to tell just from the descriptions what they are really like in the garden, and especially how they compare with each other. Size and habit - how big do they really get? Strength of stems and "floppiness"? Color- PW looks more red in the photos? Time and length of bloom, etc.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanilla Strawberry or Pinky Winky?

VS get more tall than wide (say 6-7' tall, 5' wide). PW can be quite tall; at least 6' tall. Bloom colors are a matter of personal preference. The pink colors may or may not clash so it would be best if you can see real blooms instead of colors off pictures in the Internet. Expect some flopiness on new stems always. It may take 2-3 years for the stems to harden and be able to support the weight of blooms without flopiness. But it should not be as bad as you see with others like Annabellee.

I am sure that deer will love them both so protect them with a high fence if you have deer in the area.

o
RE: Vanilla Strawberry or Pinky Winky?

Thanks for the info. I trying to decide between one or the other. I wouldn't mix them in the same border. Just interested to find out people's preferences who have had them both. Good to know that floppiness is just a passing phase as the plants mature.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here