Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaroma

Transplanted ES in May, will it flower?

melaroma
12 years ago

My hubby decided to transplant my two ES and my BB without consulting me and now I am worried that they won't bloom this year. He says that he took as much dirt as he could with the ES which had been planted three years ago. My BB aparently lost a lot of dirt in the move. After all the work I put in winter protecting them I'm going to be really upset if they don't flower. Im in zone 6 and we have had two days of constant rain and 50 degrees weather which i am hoping will help them out a bit. I watered them with sugar water to hopefully help them with the shock. Will they be ok?

Comments (7)

• ditas
    12 years ago

Hi melaroma ~ I've done some moving in Spring w/ success & blooms ~ even moved a more delicate (Serrata) w/ good guidance from here & MyM bloomed the very following month! I'm sure not guaranteed but if much of the root balls were intact you should not have problems. I moved 2 of my regular ES 3 times in 1 season looking for an ideal site (before I knew anything worth much) both did fine.
    I did use cottonseed mulch w/ the back fill soil & watered w/ solution of quick-start ~ DK if those steps helped.

Best of luck ~ hope my experience helped a bit!

• melaroma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ditas,

Oh that is a relief to hear. Hubby did add some really good compost in with the existing soil so I hope that helps. Also during lunch I tried looking for any buds and the ones I founds are so tiny that I almost missed them so hopefully it was done early enough. Guess hubby won't be sleeping in the dog house tonight ;)

• mehearty
    12 years ago

Oh, still put him in the dog house. I would! =D Seriously, I don't mess around with his lawn*, he best stay away from my flowers. You may get lucky if your buds already started forming (even if you can't see them yet). Water, water, water this season.

I transplanted an ES 3 weeks ago that was just breaking dormancy. I'm not expecting flowers this year, but if I get them I'll be thrilled.

*disclaimer - I don't mess with his lawn unless I'm killing parts of it for more flower beds. lol

• melaroma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well the lawn is my domain too so I will have to mess with his tomatoes or peppers. I am weird in that I love, yes LOVE, to mow the lawn. I itch for winter to be done not so much so that I can start messing with plants as that I can start mowing. Something about the smell of freshly mowed grass and the entertainment of mowing it in patterns. Love it!

Although the pleasure of enjoying my hydrangeas is another reason!

• ditas
    12 years ago

Hey melaroma - I meant to respond to this promptly as I found a soul sister in * LOVE OF MOWING* ~ just to show you how much ~ eons ago when my boys were in H Sch they accused me of making them look like a pair of *free-loading bums* when they come home & find the greens all cut & edges even trimmed! The neighbor men w/ their JDeere rider mowers hated me & my 16" electric red one!!! As you said the smell of freshly cut grass is heavenly!

However as years went & I reclaimed the boy's soccer kicking grass, my mowing area has gotten smaller but tortuous w/ obstacle course cause I discovered that *dirt-digging* can be fun too!!! LOL

• melaroma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, dirt digging is fun! However I like big open spaces of green as a view so I tend to keep my beds along the hardscape. Boring, I know. I just love standing at one corner of my property and looking at all the freshly moved greenery with neat lines running across it. I did create a new bed at the front yard corner where the driveway meets the sidewalk this year and I am happy with it but I made so that it is super easy to mow around it. Come to think of it that is along side a hardscape, lol. Nevermind.

• ditas
    12 years ago

Was ROTFLOL ~ I have those kind of bed as well (am a square-inch gardener)!