Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'PeeWee' Oakleaf hydragea

Posted by haley45 7b (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 15:32

I was wondering if anyone has used 'PeeWee' in their foundation plantings? (Or if this would even work well in that capacity?)

I would love to see pictures! I bought this gorgeous plant at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens Spring Plant sale and am thinking about digging up one of the Jap. hollies in the corner of a bed on the right side of my front door that is shaped like 1/4 of a circle. Its southeast exposure so would get full morning sun until about 11am or so and then shade for the rest of the day. I was going to post a picture but can't figure out how to upload an image (sorry for my ignorance - I'm a newbie!).

Thanks for all your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'PeeWee' Oakleaf hydragea

If it's a front/entrance foundation bed, winter appearance of PeeWee (or any other hydrangea for that matter, probably with paniculata in tree form being just one exception) will make you to regret your decision of planting it there.
Otherwise, from the horticultural point of view, this would be a completely suitable location.

o
RE: 'PeeWee' Oakleaf hydragea

Thanks ego45. I think that it would probably look ok looking straight at the house since the hydrangea would have in the corner of a pie-shaped bed with a "skirt" of japanese hollies and irises that would remain evergreen and block, but I had failed to take into consideration that my front porch is one of the "sides" of the bed and so visitors would get a close-up view. I was just trying to find a place up front b/c I have an 85lb. border collie/husky mix that gets to play in the backyard and every once in a while gets a little excited and likes to munch on things with branches, which is not a great thing since hydrangeas are poisonous to dogs. Maybe there is a place that is far enough back in my backyard border that would be out of harm's way (he knows that he is not supposed to be in mom's flowers). Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here