Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea, Twist & Shout

Posted by bellarosa z4-5/IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 16:41

Hi,

Is anyone in Zone 5 growing this hydrangea? I planted two of them last year in the Fall, in my Zone 5 garden. They have come back, but the growth is small and slow. I was wondering if I can expect to get any growth this year from them. If you grow this hydrangea, can you please share your experience with it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea, Twist & Shout

I have it, and it has survived and bloomed, but hasn't gotten too large yet. It is just starting its third season in the garden, but it is in too much shade and I think I will need to move it to get a bit more sun. It is currently just starting to push out leaves.

In general for me both H. paniculata and H. macrophylla plants have been slow to start the first couple of years, but once they get their roots well established, they take off and grow well their third season. Almost all mine have started life as very small plants or rooted cuttings in pots of a quart size or smaller.

o

For me after this winter partial die back but regrowth and loaded with buds. A star here!

o

I experienced a zone 4-5 winter and all macs were leveled. But they're regenerating. The advantage of TnS is that it's remontant (new wood bloomer/rebloomer).

o

Thanks everyone for the info. I hope mine bloom. it was so pretty last year. if it does bloom, i'll try and post some pics. :-)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 15:20

Blooms well but here I can't get it to stop wilting if the sun hits it - and I'm in the dullest metropolitan area in the country. I have also noticed a local vendor displaying it in more shade than their other hydrangeas. On the other hand there is a row of it between a south-facing wall and a driveway at another property in my town.

Have never seen these wilted during numerous trips by in the car.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here