Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I might have over-fertilized my hydrangea

Posted by helza GA (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 17:21

I just planted 5 Dichroa febrifuga (evergreen), last weekend and now they are so wilted I'm afraid I've killed them. The same day I planted them, I fertilized them. I used the Tree & shrub miracle grow spikes...and drove two into their bed which is about 16 feet by 5 feet. They were very full and healthy looking for the first 2 days. Then I forgot to water them for 2 days and they were completely droopy/wilted. A few of the leaves have become mushy on the outer edges and are very dark. I have watered them for the past 2 days and they haven't perked up at all.

Did I over fertilize them? If I did, is there anything I can do to reverse the effect? Do you think they can pull through?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I might have over-fertilized my hydrangea

The wilting could just be a reaction to the planting - transplant stress - combined with the forgotten watering. Keep watering them deeply (perhaps not daily - just do not allow them to dry out) and give them some time to recover. My dichroa is in a container and has now and again shown signs of drought wilting, but has responded to increased watering well.

Are there only 2 fert spikes for the entire bed or 2 per plant? 2 per plant is probably excessive. FWIW, fertilizer spikes are the least efficient method of fertilization. As a matter of fact, they are pretty much a waste of money and I'd avoid using them at all. If necessary, a granular type fertilizer scratched into the soil surface over the entire area will provide much better results (and save money) but newly planted plants seldom require additional fertilizer. A good organic mulch should suffice for 99% of your nutrient requirements if your soil is any good at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here