Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabulldogsfan10

Help!!!

gabulldogsfan10
10 years ago

Past couple days my flowers have started to look bad. Have included a picture.

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

How much sun is it getting (from when until when)?

• gabulldogsfan10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd say sunup till bout 3 maybe 4 in afternoon so 8 to 10 hours.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

Too much sun. Move it to a place where shade after 12 noon or sooner. Morning sun is the best. Afternoon sun is too much. Mine in Va get 3 hours and do fine.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

I try to give them sun from sun up until 11am or 12pm. Too much more than that and the leaves and blooms suffer. Try transplanting to another more shaded location or to one where it will get shade from a structure (a bush, a tree, a wall, etc). Dappled sun is fine but not close to a tree where the tree and the hydrangea roots may end up competing for water and nutrients. Another suggestion is to use a 35% shade cloth in that location.

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

Regardless, that's a greenhouse-forced hydrangea....

Remove the blooms as soon as you can and let the leaves dry and crumble if that's what they "want" to do. New, stronger foliage will replace the old.

I realize people want to enjoy the blossoms on their young plants, but for future growth, removing them is the best bet.

You'd probably be best growing that in a 3-5 gallon pot in a sem-shaded location for a year or two... Overwinter it against your home in a low lying area, hole, ditch, or garage...

Out there in the middle of it all like that, it likely won't grow much larger than what you've got there, for years.

If you plant a pot-grown 3x3' hydrangea (grown in your climate conditions) with at least 20 canes and a large rootball, you will be instantly rewarded!

• emrogers
    10 years ago

That's exactly what mine look like too . They look great when I buy them but once planted the next day they look wilted. Mine are in morning sun and afternoon shade , sun till maybe noon. Pic I uploaded is one that has stayed looking like this, I'm not sure if it's dying or not. I want them so badly to survive. This one no longer wilts.however it looked like the one above at the beginning all the time.

• emrogers
    10 years ago

That's exactly what mine look like too . They look great when I buy them but once planted the next day they look wilted. Mine are in morning sun and afternoon shade , sun till maybe noon. Pic I uploaded is one that has stayed looking like this, I'm not sure if it's dying or not. I want them so badly to survive. This one no longer wilts.however it looked like the one above at the beginning all the time.

{{!gwi}}

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

wmrogers, all I am seeing is a red X.

Transplant shock on year one causes a lot of wilting, especially during the summer months as temps encroach into the 90s. Keep the soil well mulched and as evenly-moist as you can. If they wilt but the soil feels moist, take no action. They should recover on their own by the next morning. If the soil is dry when you see them wilting, immediately give them 1/2 gallon of water.

• emrogers
    10 years ago

luis_pr
    thanks so much for the input. I was posting from my phone and it does funky stuff. It was basically a duplicate. I think being so new at this gardenin and planting the first thing I want to do is WATER WATER WATER!!!! But I have been paying a lot more attention to them and trying out new things. I also joined this forum so I can get input and some of you guys are really really experienced and very nice. So thank you for your input.