Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea 'Shooting Star' Vs. 'Sumida No Hanabi'

Posted by jazzmom516 Zone 7 LI, NY (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 18:12

A few months ago, my local supermarket had 'Shooting Star' for sale around St. Patrick's day. I bought it because the flowers were unusual. Further research showed that I probably purchased 'Sumida No Hanabi' commonly called 'Shooting Star' in the florist industry. The flowers were completely white.

Now for the question: A relative received 'Shooting Star' as a gift to the home and the white flowers have a pale blue center and the lace cap portion of the plant also is pale blue.
Do we have 2 different plants?

I planted mine outdoors in late April and it is developing its roots now with some green at the bottom of the plant (for now). The relative is planning to plant her plant outdoors as well.

Anyone have either of these plants? Does 'Shooting Star' have pale blue centers and lacecaps on it? Does 'Sumida No Hanabi' have pure white flowers everywhere?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea 'Shooting Star' Vs. 'Sumida No Hanabi'

Yes, it is the same lacecap. The industry has made a total mess of this hydrangea's name. Shooting Star and Hanabi are the same thing. It has other names as well. Fuji Waterfall, Sumida-no-hanabi and Fireworks.

Although the majority of the pics that I have seen show a white center, I have seen some where the center is green or pale blue.

In this picture, the center is blueish:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17910130@N06/3169204626/

o

I read on Hydrangeas.com (Willkerson Mills website) that Fuji Waterfall is not the same as Shooting Star. Right now my plant is in the ground developing roots and I doubt it will flower again this year (I believe it was forced). So next year is when I will have a better idea of the color of the flowers. I seem to remember no blue in the center of that double flower or on the lacecap when it was in bloom on my dining room table.

o

pH affects this plant. The centers would be pink or blue, depending on soil acidity.

Google Image Search the plant.

o

All exactly the same plant, although as Luis mentions, the name has been garbled beyond belief. The correct name is 'Sumida No Hanabi', which means 'fireworks over the Sumida river". Most of the other names are trademark names which circumvent proper cultivar names and Anglicize the Japanese.

Like another white flowered mac I can think of - 'Mme. Emile Mouillere' - the flowers do have a hint of color to them. Blue in acidic soil, pink in more alkaline. It's also ben my experience that the more shade this hydrangea is in, the less likely it is to show any color but white.

o

I bought what I thought was a 'Hanabi' at Rarefind but the flowers are pretty unambiguously blue. Not a light blue either. I can post a picture later. Any idea what this could be? The flowers look like those of 'Hanabi', they have the shooting star look, not a typical mophead. I suppose something in my soil make them turn blue but I'm not sure why other people wouldn't have the problem...I did amend it years ago with a bit of peat moss.

o

Could it be 'Purple Tiers'? which is a lacecap. Here is a picture of mine from my backyard-- taken a few years ago. It's on my dining room table but the flower is typical for this plant in terms of color and shape (lacecap)

o

Update on my supermarket 'Shooting Star'. It is thriving in the area of the garden I have it in. The plant is putting out new growth now and it only had one stem for the longest time but now it has a few multiple stems emerging from the root zone. I won't see it in bloom until next year-- fingers crossed we don't have the winter from Greenland again!

o

Here it is. Now I am driving myself crazy thinking this was actually white the first year. But I can't remember for certain. All flowers are blue this year! They do have whitish highlights, but I can't find any 'Hanabi' 'Shooting Stars' pictures online that look like this. Maybe I'll review old Rarefind catalogs (bought spring 2012 IIRC) to see if there's anything else I could have received.

o

Do hydrangea sometimes develop branch sports? Maybe this is a mutation. The plant has somewhat struggled. I know it bloomed the first year, then the deer ate it down and I don't think it bloomed much 2013. Then the winter killed the top. I'm almost certain it is now blooming on new shoots, in the manner of 'Dooley', which also was killed to the ground this winter. (never has happened before, Ive had that one since 2007)
I need to go look through my digicam image archive to see if I can find an old picture of it. I knew it was supposed to white, so if it had been blue in 2012 that would have been memorable. I just remember it blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here