Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Quick Fire showing buds!!!

ostrich
13 years ago

OK, OK, so I may be overexcited (again! LOL) but my QF is showing buds already!!! Last year, I had to wait until mid to late June to see them, but this year, we already have buds in the middle of May! And these things apparently even survived that crazy wind/thunder/hail storm and the frost last weekend too. Gotta love QF (OK, mehearty may chime in here any moment now.... LOL).

Comments (9)

• Cher
    13 years ago

ostrich my QF are showing buds here also.
    Cher

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

WOW!!! I will have to check my three, but I would be very surprised! How far did you guys prune down your QF's this year? I pruned all mine down to 12-14 inches tall.

• Cher
    13 years ago

I didn't trim mine at all but they are only about 2 - 2 1/2 feet tall as it is and had no winter burn so there was no reason to. I think it's going to be interesting to see how soon they bloom though.
    Cher

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Yea I had no dieback on mine either, but I have noticed the harder I prune them the larger the flowers are. Two of my Quickfires stood 5 foot tall last year and the other one maybe 4 foot.
    I checked today and didn't see any obvious buds yet, but they are growing like crazy! They are all approaching the 3 foot mark. Just nothing out there that rivals Quick Fire in the Paniculata Hydrangea category.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Finally our share of the rains/storms/& March-like colds me thinks is over & 'hopes ... on with our season!!! Â;)

Pea-size but surely caulifl'r clusters ... funny that half of all serratas have shown cluster buds since late Apr - surely forced by up-side-down Spring!

(A note for Ostrich ... haven't seen you in Perennial Geranium ... curious abt your Jolly Bee ... have you heard of fued ..... ?)

• ostrich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oooooooh! My Annabelles are also showing buds too! This is really early for A!!!

Ditas, my Jolly Bee geraniums are doing well. I also planted a few other hardy geraniums last year too - those ones with the pine-scented leaves (what is it called? I cannot remember! Yikes) and they are blooming right now! Nothing as spectacular as my JB but then the scented foliage is nice.

So, Ditas, what is "fued"?

• ditas
    13 years ago

Ostrich - My annie has started as well, just a few pea-sized ones ... & guess what? - she may be a bit smaller too (fingers XX'd) ... pruning her down to 10" this Spring might be the answer. Remember how tall she was last season?!

So you haven't read huh - go & read *coolplantguy's* post in Perennial Forum - by July 1 ... no more Jolly Bee! Â:( Roxanne won the patent feud! Shucks!!!

See you there, OK?

• ostrich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my, ditas! This stuff about Jolly Bee is pretty stupid!!!

Now, thinking about it, last year, I was hoping to find another Jolly Bee for the other side of my Snow Mountain Tree. I could not find it, but instead, I bought a Rozanne. So, I now have both, flanking the sides of the Snow Mountain Tree!!!

• ditas
    13 years ago

I thought of you & George when I read the cpg's post ... I knew you both have 1 or the other or both. I enlarged my sunny long island w/ intentions of adding a couple of JBs, after a short discussion we had last season on the wonders of JB - just my luck! Â:( ... Several of us have lost respect for *Blooms of Bressingham* ... DNA may be the same but there's enough habit diff!!! I got R but refuse to put them in my sunny Long Island bed!!! I'm putting Orkney Cherry instead!

Oh sorry for the swerve ... just venting disappointment! BTW I planted *Tickled Pink-H paniculata* in the smack Center of now 25.5'x9.5' sunny Long Is bed!!! can't wait to see blossoms - no buds yet!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!