Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oakleaf vs paniculata

Posted by miclino 5b SE MI (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 18:18

Posted this in shrubs forum but was advised to do it here.

I have a 3 x 3 ft spot right by the front door with eastern exposure and shade in the afternoon. Perfect for a smaller hydrangea which is the one thing I don't currently have. I thought of oakleaf pee wee/little honey but at the nursery was tempted by the nice upright look of the paniculata. This would work better for me because it would stand out from the back of the garden.
Problem is, all the paniculata's I saw have about a 5-6 foot spread and grow fast. Can I confine it to the space mentioned above by pruning?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oakleaf vs paniculata

There are some miniature paniculatas, like Little Lamb and Little Lime, which you might check out. Those you could more easily control. Things like Limelight would get way too big for you, even if you were pruning them down every year.

Personally, I think you would be fine to go with an oakleaf - they're impressive in their own right, especially once they fill out. Either way, you'll get a nice plant.

o

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, May 10, 10 at 23:12

Glad to see you here ml - posted this for you in the Shrub Forum ...

BTW, ml - I severely pruned *Little Lamb* Hp, to the tall center canes ... an experiment on redesigning (nature vs nurture) ... too early to tell what shape creature he turns out to be. I'll post pix when he fills out & flashes (before & after) ... he is fast filling out on both ends, top & bottom (crown)!

& yes, do check out Lil Lime! ;)

o

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, May 11, 10 at 10:41

Me again - perhaps posting pix of the 3x3 site w/ the constraints you mentioned in the Shrub Forum, will help w/ suggestions/help.

FWIW

o

Dita,
Thanks for all the info, I have decided to go with oakleak little honey. Aside from the space contraints, I realized I already had plenty of flowering plants and the foliage was important. I'm just not sure I liked the foliage on the paniculata. I will lose out on winter interest but thats ok with me.
Have already ordered the plant and based on yours and others descriptions, really looking forward to it. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here