Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Frost H Serrata ...

Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 18:27

Hello Lacecap lovers ~ I'm so thrilled to report that 3rd season BF serrata is loaded w/ cluster buds ~ I'll have to start serving him more AM stiff coffee!!! So excited I deed my rounds ~ not a single one other has any clusters to show!!!

Next to Limelight BF was first to really green up & full as well!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Frost H Serrata ...

Hi ditas, can't wait to see pics! Can you tell my where you got your Blue Frosts. I'm from around the dsm area, am I anywhere close? Thanks

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, May 20, 11 at 9:43

Good Morn'g Mac ~ Got him from DSM Seed Nursery ~ was developed by Hines Nursery a Korean dwarf H serrata. I got it for my hubby for Pa's Day in 2008 I planted in a N facing foundation. Blooms started out pink ~ Steve suggested due to the closeness to the garage wall & the alkaline effect. So for the 1st season I gave him just 1 treatment of Al'm. sulf & followed bys daily drinks of coffee. In the past 2 seasons just coffee drinks & he produces blue clusters!

Because he is planted between 2 houses & we are NW facing I do give him a cage w/ dry leaves protection ~ my best performing H serrata! I hope Steve can still get it for you ~ you'll be happy to add him in your garden!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Frost ~ since 2008

o
RE: Blue Frost H Serrata ... +

Fri, May 20, 11 at 9:47

Hi again - click on specific pic to see closely ~ & sorry for the too many pix I keep a pictorial journal to leave to a grand-dau later!

o

Hey Ditas if you want to try a really early Hyd Serrata try this one http://www.specialtyornamentals.com/product-profile.php?ID=40. The deep purple blue will knock ya socks off

o

Sat, May 21, 11 at 20:31

Thanks Bobbygil ~ I checked all three serratas at the site you posted ~ unfortunately 2 were not for my zone & the 3rd didn't have flowers to show & foliage is yellowish!

I have several serratas I call Divas in my piece of soil + 2 Nikkos that require serious winter coats!!! My DH thought I should just stick w/ less demanding royalties!!! 3 other H serratas I have are as well full of little clusters at this point ~ each stem has a finial ~ so exciting!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here