Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can ES hydragea tolerate full sun in Chicago area

Posted by vivian_2010 IL (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 18:34

I live in the north sub area of Chicago. I planted 5 ES this spring. 2 of them got almost full day sun (morning to ~4 pm). We are having our first hot summer day (~90F)I noticed that they wilt. But after watering, they will recover. I do not have much shaded area to move these ES to. I am hoping that after the first year and after roots are established, they will be ok. Should I keep these ES or return them for something that is more tolerate of full sun?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can ES hydragea tolerate full sun in Chicago area

Once they are established, they probably will survive the full sun. However, they probably will wilt on every hot day, and they might not flower as profusely as if they received some shade. If the wilting bothers you, you should return them. If not, then enjoy. :) I myself have about 10 ES in mostly sun. The ones that receive more shade have many more blooms, but those in the sun have some too.

o

I just moved one this spring to a morning sun only location, since it never did well in it's fuller sun location. It's in it's fourth or fifth year, can't remember exactly. I've already noticed how much better it's doing with more shade...and it didn't wilt at all today!!! We hit mid 90's, too. I'm about 20 miles west of Chicago.

o

Thanks for your comments. I will keep them where they are and see if they will be more tolerant of sun next year. If not, I may need to move these two ES to some place with more shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here