Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HD hydrangea

Posted by hokierustywilliamsbu 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 18:49

HD has 3 gal Penny Mac and 3 gal unknown hydrangea in Vigiro pots. The unknown is a shiny leaf (like Ayesha or Big Daddy) with a mop bloom that is a double. Asked what variety and was told it was a radican! Well no it is not a gardiena-so the girl told me at least they are female plants so they would bloom. Where do they find these people! Any idea what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HD hydrangea

It's probably one of Irie's Japanese hybrids, like Together or You-Me...

Got a pic?

His plants have been the most consistent come-backers as they always die back to 1-2" but shoot up to 2-3' and bloom.

o

Sorry camera on phone is broken. May have to go get one tomorrow....

o

could be a Doublicious maybe...

o

They are selling Wedding Cake at our HD. A double white. Nice but not overwhelming either.

o

went back and it was on sale!!!

o

Nice. :) It might be 'Perfection' (Double Delights) if there is a contract between HD and Ball Hort. I'm not sure how the flower head compares to Doublicious, but they are genetically very similar.

And this would mean the white double one is probably Wedding Gown (Double Delights). (I don't believe there's such a thing as H. mac. Wedding Cake.) It's technically a lacecap but looks more like a mop once the bloom has matured.

To all US users: Sadly, these might be restricted to the South Atlantic region, as HD has contracted with Bell Nurseries to sell various items in Vigoro pots. See link provided.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell Nursery - regional Home Depot contractor

o

No, the Wedding Cake was a double mop head in a Vigoro container. I have Wedding Gown, Wedding Ring, and Blushing Bride (how many wedding names does one need?)

o

Huh, no kidding?? I wonder where Wedding Cake originated,

It returned zero search results on the Net, which is odd...

Wonder if it's like Peace. I have two of those, and they're great.

o

No telling where it originated from. More hydrangeas than ever. I wonder if they are rebranding some old ones.

o

With a closer look there is a label that says Pink Pefection.

o

Yep! Thought so. Guess you'll see how close to Doublicious that is. They looked quite similar in photos, but now you'll get to see for yourself.

o

Here is Wedding Cake at HD this morning. Blooms white and/or pink. Price has been reduce to less than $18 for a 3 gallon.

o

White blooms of Wedding Cake.

o

Pink blooms of Wedding Cake

o

Looks like Peace to me. :)

o

May be. That is what I said earlier about rebranding in hopes of more sales...

o

Yes Pink Perfection here in Williamsburg and Wedding Cake in Hampton!!!

o

3G Vigoro in my area are ALL... Teller Blue?! One of the least hardy plants for this zone. F - marketing.

o

Latest Vigiro pot sighting: Zebra. First time I've seen it in this country.

In case people are unfamiliar, this is a black-stemmed, white-flowering plant.

Just look at the interesting growth habit. Already pushing three feet tall with very thick stems and emerald green leaves the size of dinner plates!

photo IMG_20140619_084903_229.jpg

o

Will check HD and Lowes tomorrow.

o

Would love to find it but not here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here